Question on laws

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grammie, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Someone I care about is in a messy divorce, their soon to ex has their social security number memorized. Someone keeps calling the bank and reporting the card stolen so the bank shuts the account down, which causes a lot of unnecessary problems for the card holder. They are pretty sure it is the soon to be ex. Does anyone know how this can be stopped and what can be done to teach the caller a lesson? This is important so please no sarcastic remarks. Thanks in advance.

2. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Sounds like a solid case of identity theft. It is a crime and the "soon to be ex" should be reported to law enforcement.

3. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

They should try to have the bank place a password that only your friend knows. Your friends to speak to the banks fraud/security department.

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I know I have to give my bank a pin number before they do anything. Maybe she needs to change the pin number.

5. Grammie

Thx guys I will give her all the info you just gave me. If she reported it for identity theft how would they track it to the caller?

6. Grammie

She got a new account with a new pin but he knows where she banks. We think he is calling it to report her card stolen just to aggravate her. It would be a shame if she has to change banks, she loves her bank.

7. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

If the bank has caller id, it should be pretty easy. In this day and age, I'd be surprised if they didn't have it.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

She should keep a log of dates and times when these things happen, good to have if she wanted to file harassment charges. Get whatever backup she can from the bank for each incident as well.

9. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

I went through a similar situation with my ex, just have the bank place a security password on the account, use security passwords for all bills, cell phones, schools, doctors anything you can think of.

10. Grammie

Thx everyone I gave her all the ideas, I think she is going to try them all. :lol: