11-year-old student brings gun to school

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://myfox8.com/2013/02/20/11-year-old-student-brings-gun-to-school-in-johnston-county/

11-year-old student brings gun to school in Johnston County

CLAYTON, N.C. – An 11-year-old at in Johnston County has been charged with bringing .22 caliber pistol and bullets to school.

Johnston county deputies arrested the student and his mother after the incident was reported Friday at Clayton Middle School.

WTVD reported that the child’s mother faces charges for not properly storing the gun.

The station reported that some parents more upset about how the school alerted them to the potential danger.

Parents were told by phone and letter that something inappropriate was brought to school but not that it was a gun, or a weapon.

“Parents have a right to know,” said father Tony Williams, according to WTVD. “I pay for people to go in there. I deserve the right to know what goes on.”

The point of the letter was to reassure parents that administration was aware and acted promptly and students were safe,” said Tracey Peedin-Jones, with Johnston County Schools.

Investigators are not releasing the student’s name because of his age.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

For goodness sakes. What is this world coming to?

Sherry

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I thought Clayton Middle was a public school, I didn't know it was a private school that parents had to pay for their kids to attend.

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I thought that was a bizarre comment too....I think what he might have meant was that he pays taxes and he deserves to know the full poop.

5. Ksokol22

Ksokol22 Well-Known Member

And this is the MAIN reason my children will be homeschooled.

6. dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez Well-Known Member

Wow, that's real scary!

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

What ever happened in this case?? I never heard anything else about it? Was the kid expelled? What was the outcome??

Just curious since the school system decided to act very publicly in the case of a high school Senior this week (full story on wtsbradio today). This was at the very same school where an employee also brought a gun onto campus and suffered virtually no consequences. I understand rules and safety, but it is really pick and choose it seems as to the punishments for the very same offense.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  8. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Dont know about the status on criminal charges for him or his parents but I know he was sent to the alternative school for at least a year.

9. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. !