Johnston School Board Not Playing Fair??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by PoohBear, May 2, 2013.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Oh yay, he can walk the stage with delinquents instead of the kids he has attended school with since pre-k. That's mighty white of them.

2. Cleopatra

Actually, she didn't even know where the gun was. Considering it was in her glove box, I assume she had a CCW? Was she arrested? Did the sheriff revoke her CCW? Is she allowed to own a firearm now?

3. Cleopatra

Serial posting...

The law applies to ANY person, even off duty LEOs.

The one year expulsion clause comes from the original GFSA and was amended with the NCLB act, which extends the GFSA to school activities located off-campus. It also allows for school administrators (school board) to modify the zero tolerance policy on a case by case basis.

The school board has the power to allow this kid to graduate with his class at Princeton.... just like the DA can throw this out before it ever even gets to court.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate: Why didn't he just drive back home and leave the gun? Would have avoided all this nonsense

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Because he would have been delinquent for skipping school. As I understand it, you are not allowed to leave once you are there.

JoCo and shown consistantly that they are nothing if not INCONSISTANT in their handling of disicpline.

He should have been given maybe a couple days suspension and let that be the end of it. Instead, we have yet another giant embarrassment of complete JoCo School Board incompetance. Evey damn one of them should be fired.

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

OK let's see, skip school or have a felony, end up in alternative school and screw up your chance at college. Which to choose??????? The more I step back the less sympathy I have for this young man.

And before anyone says it, I am a legal CCW holder and I know when and where not to bring my firearm

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's your perogative. He was calling his mother to fix the situation. Somebody chose to make a *** out of nothing. As usual with our lovely JoCo schools.

8. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Why is the JoCo School Board being blamed? Shouldn't you be blaming Congress for enacting this law?

If the law REQUIRES a one year suspension, then it seems to me that the JoCo School Board is letting him off with a slap on the wrist. It seems to me that they are using some common sense.

As for the assistant principal, it is my understanding that she received a short suspension but was not charged. According to the JoCo Sheriff's Dept., she did not know that her husband had left the gun in the car. According to Sheriff Steve, that was the difference between the two cases.

I too am hoping that the JoCo DA will use some common sense and drop the charges.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Tukwhateveryourname is..................please see above.

10. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity does anyone know how the Cleveland Middle and Clayton Middle school students who brought guns to school this year were punished? Did they receive one year suspension and get charged with a felony?

11. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

As for Catherine Bennett, the assistant principal that had a gun in her car, she asked the resource officer at the school to look for her gun because she had "misplaced" it. Hmmm . . .

The gun was found in Ms. Bennett's car and left in her car that she then let high school students work on. Hmmm . . .

Who would have been charged had that gun accidentally or purposely been used to shoot someone?

Obviously someone somewhere decided that Ms. Bennett and the resource officer were in the wrong as they were suspended for a few days. If the sheriff and the school could use their judgment on how to handle that situation, they could have done the same with this one.

12. tukasiya

kdc1970orwhateverthatmeans.............please see below.

Johnston County School Board Attorney Jimmy "Lawrence said Withrow had not been expelled or suspended from school for 365 days. Also, Superintendent Dr. Ed. Croom has made previsions allowing Withrow to continue receiving educational benefits and will be allowed to graduate if he completes course requirements."

Looks like the JoCo School Board or the Super HAS, so far, modified the GFSA law which REQUIRES a 365 day suspension.

As worked-up as you are over this, I would hope that you would be glad that he will be allowed to graduate in a few weeks.

13. tukasiya

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :cheers:

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a story from high school. This probably wont seem that funny to others, but at that moment it was pretty funny.

We had a guy rip one in English class one day. He was sort of a goof anyway, but everyone knew he did it and everyone was laughing about it. The proper, stuffy old lady English teacher asked him if he needed to go to the nurse. He responded without any hesitation "When you fart, do you go to the nurse?".

In those days you didn't talk like that in school. To this day, thinking about it still makes me laugh.

17. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

The ACLU won't get involved unless he was a minority.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I did not realize Rush Limbaugh was a minority, at least in the traditional sense.

19. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

From WRAL:

BREAKING NEWS: THE ATTORNEY FOR COLE WITHROW, 18, SAID THE JOHNSTON COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD HAS DENIED AN APPEAL FOR THE TEEN, WHO INADVERTENTLY LEFT TWO UNLOADED SHOTGUNS IN HIS CAR AT SCHOOL. WITHROW WILL NOT PURSUE FURTHER APPEALS AND WILL FINISH HIS EDUCATION AT AN ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL, THE ATTORNEY SAID.

20. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Exactly the outcome i expected from the board.