Stickers on your mailbox?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, May 9, 2013.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Yesterday I found an orange sticker on my mailbox with what looked like a number "3" .

Today on facebook, (I know it's so reliable) I read that Gang's are going around and sticking little stickers color coded to alert their members what size dog lives there so they can snatch them for dog fighting.

Now to further confuse everyone, two days ago, the 50-210 Fire Dept. came to our door for the photo drive.

Could the sticker be related to the photo drive to say, hey, we talked to these people already?
    Could it be for some gang trying to steal the dog I don't own? (my in law's have had their pup here for a month now) (And yes i've read that is a hoax, but you never know)

Anyone have any idea? It was the first time i've seen a sticker on my mailbox and I don't subscribe to anything that would require someone to know to deliver anything here.

TIA

2. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Did you recently order newspapers or did you donate to the fire department or paramedic squad? The stickers (depending on color) mean that you did one of the above (or something similar).

It's not a gang thing. Why would gangs gently put a sticker on your mailbox (and then number it) when they would have more fun going at it with a Louisville Slugger?

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It's the photo drive. They put the stickers on your mailbox to show that you have already been contacted. Thery usually mention that they are going to put it there.

That reminds me, I need to go out and put an orange sticker on my mailbox. :lol:

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Call the fire department and ask them.

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Isn't it a federal offense to deface or destroy a mailbox?

7. Palisade

Its not a federal offense. What you're thinking about are mail receptacles (places where you drop a stamped letter to be mailed). They are property of the USPS and, as such, destroying one is a matter for the feds.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

9. Palisade

10. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Read it and weep.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/raddocs/tipvandl.htm

"Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism."

Obtenir une certaine intelligence, waslolyesni. Avoir une bonne nuit.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

But . . . but . . . Clif is never wrong!!! :mrgreen:

12. Palisade

Thanks. Unlike most people here, I'll admit that I'm wrong.

Now I'm curious about mailboxes that are hand-made.

13. Palisade

I can't vouch for that since I don't know him. But I will always admit to being wrong (unlike a lot of other people, it would seem).

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken.

As for your other question about hand made mailboxes. I was always taught it doesnt matter where they come from. If the purpose of the box is to collect mail, it's considered a mailbox and it's a crime to mess with it.

I personally don't consider a little orange dot to be a crime, and I doubt it is or they probably would have been stopped by now. I would however like to punish whoever keeps leaving those stinking phone books and yellow pages in my driveway!

15. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

From personal experience with having 2 very rambunctious boys at one time...it was taken very seriously when they set fireworks off in a mailbox as a joke. In fact, I called a sheriff friend who came over and read them the riot act. Did they ever consider doing that again? Oh, hell no! Yes, it is a federal offense.