Car title question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Pwoods, May 28, 2013.

1. Pwoods

Pwoods Well-Known Member

I am receiving a vehicle from a family member. Both the husband and the wife are listed on the title, but only one of them signed it as the seller and left very little room for the other to sign. Do they both have to sign it?

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that both will need to sign. The Notary would usually catch that.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

yes... the other will have to squeeze her signature in there.

4. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

If it says husband OR wife, then only one needs to sign. Any other way then they both need to sign.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

All instructions are on this link.

Sherry

http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titleinstructions.php

Signature of All Seller(s) – All sellers listed on the face of the title must sign the title assignment exactly the same as the name(s) appear on the face of the title. If the name on the face of the title is a business, the signature of the authorized agent must be shown.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

That is the Missouri DMV site. Things may be a bit different here.

7. Sherry A.

Yep, my guess would be different state different laws. I did have the NC link at some point when I posted that. lol Oh well, maybe the OP got the idea to Google and find the actual laws for our state.

Sherry

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Yep for NC if is says and/or then ok for just one, any other way must be both.

9. Sherry A.

My mother taught me as a young lady to always have "or". File for it quickly, if needed. She was a smart lady. lol

Sherry