Does sulfur really work?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Jun 11, 2013.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Quick question for those with experience..

It is no secret that I am absolutely petrified of snakes, whether they are good snakes or not, they still make me unreasonably scream like a little girl...

Does treating your yard with sulfur really help keep them away?

2. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I've been told to spread mothballs around the perimeter of the yard etc. as a deterrent for snakes. Not too sure about the snakes but it would keep me away, lol.

3. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Just make sure you have no snakes in the

perimeter of your yard. Whatever you lay down to keep them "oustide" of the perimeter will also keep them "inside" the perimeter should they be somehwere in the yard.

4. JenniferK

Yeah, that might be an issue. Our dogs went buck wild this morning trying to get under the storage shed, and while I'm hoping they were after a rabbit....I really hope it isn't a snake...

...which btw is why I don't go in the shed in the summer, whatever is in there can wait till winter...lol

5. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

While putting stuff around the perimeter of your property might work, don't forget that snakes can climb trees. If you have trees in your neighbors yard that has branches that overhang you yard, the snakes can still get on your property.

6. JenniferK

So the basic consensus is that yeah, it might work, but it probably won't? LOL

7. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

A Google search is inconclusive. Half the hits say that sulfur is a proven snake repellent, the other half says it's an old wives tale.

I would go ask at the pet store or garden supply (although the latter would probably just want to sell you something).

8. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

I live around a pond/some trees, etc ...

and every year in the spring I put down Snake Away ... if it doesn't work (I've not come across any snakes but know my neighbors have occassionally) at keeping snakes away, it has been keeping them out of my sight and giving me a peace of mind over the whole snake matter.... :hurray:

9. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

We also use Snake Away - we put it around the outside of the fence of the pets' area on our property. We think it works - had encounters with copperheads but not since we started using it. It keeps them out in the woods, where they need to stay. :p

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I have been working at some places that have piles of sulfur, just like the salt piles up north, and haven't seen a single snake! :mrgreen: