Rusted Nut & Bolt

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I need some suggestions. I am totally frustrated by this. The battery on my riding lawn mower is dead. I can get the negative connecter unbolted but the postive one I can not get the nut off. the bolt just spins and there is nothing for me to grab onto to hold it still while I try to undo the bolt. I have tried using WD40 but the bolt just keeps spinning. I am trying not to have to cut the head off the positive end if I can help it. Any suggestions? And taking it to Griffs is not an option.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DH uses that stuff, works way better than WD40

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If it's spinning and there's nothing to grab, what about a hack saw?

5. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

yep! Sawzall with a metal cutting blade.

6. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

You need a pair of vice grips to hold the spinning part.

[​IMG]

Needle-nose vice grips can get into narrow areas.
    [​IMG]

7. Rockyv58

Thanks all for your suggestions. I tried to use the hacksaw to cut through the nut but it ended up snapping the connector from the red cable to the battery terminal. So when I go to replace the battery I have to get a connector. Any suggestions on how I can stop the nut and bolt from getting rusted in the future?

Again thanks

[​IMG]

8. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

they make anti-seize compound you can get at wal mart or parts store..as for the old bolt, trash it, the connector is a cheap and easy fix

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

It's amazing what a little axle grease can do to prevent the corrosion.

10. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

That's what I was trying to think of. Either that or the silicone stuff that you put on trailer hitches.

11. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Pour Coke on it. Coke will eat up some corrosion!

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

But not Pepsi, seriously, it might be an urban legend but that is what I was always told.

13. Rockyv58

Well I got the battery in and now it just goes click click click and the engine doesn't even try to turn over. Took off the gas cap and can't see gas and the plastic view from the rear is so faded I can not tell if there is gas in it. So I will try to fill it and see if i can get it started.

14. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

click click click usually means starter....however it could be a relay.

I've had both go on my rider within the last two years. Relay was easy to fix, starter, not so much. Took it to Brian's Auto and had Art work on it for me.

15. C me Now BMM

Is the battery fully charged? If not it will do that.. also could be a loose wire, you could try and tap the starter lightly also.. gas has nothing to do with not turning over..

16. Rockyv58

I made sure I tightened them down, but I wonder if the new contact end I put on isn't making a good enough connection.

Anyone know anything about small engines that would care to help me trouble shoot the problem.

Money is extremely tight for me right now otherwise I would be just letting griffs pick it up and work on it.

17. C me Now BMM

well like I said first thing would be check your battery, if you don't have a meter take it out and to the parts store and have them check it for a good charge.. its a free check. The batt may be new but not fully charged. Thats your 1st step to take.

18. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Hubby says to replace the whole cable, not just the connector...

19. C me Now BMM

Any progress Rocky?

20. Rockyv58

not yet. the storms put a crimp in me looking into it. And today I have to go out and run some errands. Looking to check it again later on today