Hit & run insurance question...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Someone hit my car in a parking lot; a witness told me what vehicle did it, when I asked the person, of course they denied it and left the scene. I was able to get the tag#, and per video surveilance, the police found out it was in fact the vehicle that hit me. I found out today that a citation was issued to the person and he will have to appear in court.

Can I not get this person's insurance information and have their insurance pay to get my car fixed? When I asked the officer, he wasn't sure what to tell me and made it seem like it is up to me to turn it into MY insurance if I want it fixed. Need some help, please... :confused:

2. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

why not just take your car to get appraised (that should be free from a local shop) and then show up at their hearing. You can also take em to court for damages, and show the estimates (however, I'd get more than one, three is usually sufficient, use the average) and all photos and documentation. You should be able to sue em for your repairs.

3. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Report all this to your insurance company, and they should do all the legwork on your behalf. Our insurance paid for repairs when a similar thing happened to us, then went after the person's insurance company for reimbursement.

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

If you sue them in Small Claims Court and get a judgement, it will be worth the paper it's written on.... :evil:

5. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

Don't call your insurance and make a claim as that could cause you a rate increase. You might want to call them and just see what they could help you with.

6. sirputz

That's only if they are a GOOD insurance company. I was rear ended, taken to the hospital, and after getting home, called about the accident, not knowing any information till I got the Lawyer mailings that had the accident report in it. (never spoke to an officer at all) They wanted to raise my rates b/c of the the Medical bills. Even though I told them that I was only asking questions, they started the claim. They're tricky folk, no offense my furry friend.

7. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

:iagree:

This is why one has insurance...

8. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a GOOD agent...aka a furry friend. 8)

9. sirputz

I do have a good agent... the representative from the company I spoke with misunderstood my requests. it all got straightened out.