Have TWC and they just jacked up our bill...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jlc007, Jun 19, 2013.

1. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Centurylink is still not such a great choice.

How does DISH stack up against TWC in our area?

I've read about the storm problems but other than that, are they good?:confused:

Thanks gang, appreciate it!

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

we have had Dish for about 13 yrs, and have no complaints, other than losing a signal during storms. But even last night, we never lost it. When we have had equipment problems, they've always been helpful over the phone or sent us new equipment if needed. We just have the basic HD programming, we pay around $50 a month - just for Dish. Our billing is bundled with our Centurylink bill, our total bill including internet is around $135. If you decide to go with them, PM me - and use me as a referral, I think I get a discount for that! :lol:

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I understand that satellite can go out during a storm. I used to have Dish a long time ago and I experienced this. The funny thing is that is the exact time many people are watching TV. I always found it frustrating to be watching Greg Fischle for storm updates and the TV would go out. Defeats the purpose. The weather radio only does so much.

4. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Do you mean Fishel?? Harriet..

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

this is true - I have the wral-fm app on my phone, so when this happens, we switch to that, or if we still have power/phone service, use our computer.

6. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

As I was canceling Dish last year, mainly due to outages during storms, the tech told me to put Rainex on the dish and that would help the reception during storms.

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I'm gonna call BS on that. I've had direct tv nearly 20 years. When mine goes out, a storm will be here in about 5 minutes. No rain yet, so I don't think rain-x will help. Knocking ice of the dish and LNB will fix it in ice storms.

8. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the feedback so far.
    :hurray:

Do any of you have Dish for Internet/phone as well?

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We have Directv and love it. No problems whatsoever except the expected storm outages. We had TWC in the past and they kept going up on the prices so we told them to stick it.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Can you get internet through Directv and if so, how is it for Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc? I had Directv for years before but just for tv, i have had it with both TWC and CenturyLink. I cancelled TWC the day they hooked up Centurylink and they said someone would be by to pick up the equipment, 3 months later they showed up and still fighting them billing me for the 3 months, Centurylink i cancelled everything except internet about 3 months ago and they are continuing to bill me for everything, ready to pull out my hair!!!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  11. mgzd

mgzd Well-Known Member

I did everything I could to oust TWC, adding Magicjack as my phone service and DISH for my TV. I had to keep TWC internet, though I'll bail on them as soon as there is a provider who can give me equal service.
    DISH has been good, as customer service is a strong point and they do seem to care, or at least act as if they do. The storm issue is annoying, but so it goes.
    I will give DISH one more year and then consider an antenna as an option, anything to save money at this point.
    TV is losing it's importance to me, so maybe 13 channels via antenna will be worth saving $500 a year.

12. Princess

Princess Member

We got rid of cable/DISH. We bought a $20 antenna from Walmart for basic channels and AppleTV box. We pay 8.99 streaming Netflix through AppleTV and that is it. Been doing that for a few years now and have saved SOOOO much money! Just a thought.

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

What do you use for your internet?

14. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

Kaci - Probably TWC... lol

Anyway... here is what I do....

I have Turbo Internet 20mb down 2mb up with DVR, HD and Showtime... I have H2 and all that jazz.... I pay $113 a month. All you got to do is call them and tell them you want to cancel. The initial person can only give a max of $40 credit. You might get more if you cancel but they really can't do much so be forcefully and schedule your cancellation for about 30 days out. I did that and got a call back from Retention the very next day. They gave me everything I wanted locked in for 2 years. Guess when I plan to cancel next?

I had a friend that worked at TWC that turned me on to this.