Was I wrong??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 1_more_PitBull, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

That's why I want to buy a Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting so I can tell what the temp is inside the car.

2. 1_more_PitBull

I with you! I WILL bust out a window and I will call the law if needed! I know a lady who was standing in line at a store with another lady who left her dog in the car with the windows up. My friend picked up something and ask the cashier to look at the item and that she would be back in to pay for it after she busted the window out to get this dog. And the owner did NOTHING just stood there like it wasn't her. But the AC pulled up right before she busted the window out. Again AC will do NOTHING unless the dog shows it is in danger.

3. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was illegal to leave an animal in a hot car, I said it is legal to bust the window out to rescue an animal.

4. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

On FOX 50 (WRAL news) at 10:00 PM they had a brief report on the death of a service dog in training dying because of heat related in vehicle under investigation. I can't find a link!

5. PoohBear

It was in Carrboro but I can't find a link

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

You are not the only one posting or reading this and others had already stated they thought it was legal to break into someone's vehicle to extract an animal.

I would not call the officers or the ADA idiots because most people would want to make a deal rather than be procecuted and that would make it more difficult.

7. Wayne Stollings

No, even in some of the states with statutes dealing with animals in vehicles only someone in authority may break into the vehicle without risk of liability and with liability there are possible criminal charges.

http://www.myreporter.com/?p=14500

Q. I’m concerned about people leaving dogs in hot cars in this heat wave. I know the first option is to call the police and/or animal control, but if they are delayed, I would consider smashing a window to save the dog. What are the penalties for doing that?

A. While sympathy for a canine in a hot vehicle is understandable, breaking in is not advised.

Capt. Kenneth Sarvis of the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office said, “Breaking a person’s window would be considered property damage, at the very least; and the individual who breaks the window would be responsible to pay for the window. My only recommendation is to call the police or animal services.”

Sarvis continued, “I would not feel comfortable in citizens taking upon themselves, the breaking of windows of other individuals. They should call law enforcement or Animal Services in these situations. As far as jail time, that would be based on structured sentencing.”

Wilmington City Attorney Bill Wolak concurred. When asked about the legal ramifications of breaking into a car, regardless of intentions, he said, “They could be charged with tampering with an auto or destruction of property.”

8. PoohBear

9. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

9 times out of ten they don't give a darn and the animal is going to end up dead. Blah, blah from the politicians. I'm busting the window out. I will accept the consequences.

10. Wayne Stollings

An informed decision. Better than acting on a situation and being surprised later with the reality that you can be charged with criminal activities and forced to pay for damages. This information might keep someone from acting in a situation that may not have required that level of action but with the same consequences.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

12. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

13. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I doubt that you will find that true. I actually frequent far more "conservative" sites than I do "liberal" sites for information on politics.

15. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Oh you two relax.

16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Finally this NC Legislature is doing something I can agree with.

Sherry

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/19/3038300/house-oks-bill-to-let-officers.html

RALEIGH — The state House passed legislation Thursday that would give rescue workers explicit permission to break into cars to remove dogs and other animals from hot cars.

The amended animal shelter bill, which now goes to the state Senate, would allow animal control officers, law enforcement officers, firefighters and other rescue workers to enter a vehicle “by any reasonable means” when they suspect an animal is at risk because of heat, cold, inadequate ventilation or other circumstances. It would become law once the governor signs it.

17. 1_more_PitBull

Thank goodness for these helpless animals with dumb owners!