Paula Deen in the news

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sdaanimal, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

I just watched her on the "Today" show, speaking with Matt Lauer about recent events in her life. I don't know much about all that transpired, only bits and pieces, but I do know who she is because she was in the news about her diabetes. Did anyone else see this interview? Let's talk about the "elephant in the room"...

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

What stuck in my mind was when she said "I is what I is" and something about "evil people" ;-)

3. Sdaanimal

I understand that she is sorry she said what she did, so many years ago, and was with her until she started making it about "woe is me". I guess what disturbs me is that she no doubt said this remark without thinking that it was offensive, and her statement is "I can't, myself, determine what offends another person". I interpret this statement as her saying if someone is offended, it is on him. It is good that she has "fessed" up, not denying. But I think we all know things would be much, much worse if she did not. Interesting how politicians can tie dogs in crates on top of cars, make disparaging comments about the poor, yet still run for president, but this woman's reputation is being dragged through the coals. This just illustrates to me that it is who you know, and whom you can hire for damage control. I did not mean to make this political - behavior by any politician can apply here. Bottom line? In my opinion, she is human. Being a public figure makes a person "larger than life" - in the eyes of the public and the mind of the celebrity. She has her fans and her critics. This, too, will pass. :neutral:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

this happened over 25 years ago.....

And a side note, how come the gal that brought this whole 'incident' to life after all this time, isn't being raked over the coals for extortion?

The fact that 'America' has let this become such a big deal or even an issue at all, makes me want to vomit. ....what an ignorant world we live in.

5. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

More diversion....keep people more focused on silly, non-relevant topics like this, and they won't pay attention to the IRS scandal, the economy, the budget, etc....Ignorance IS bliss, especially to those making the decisions while nobody is paying attention....

....I'd love to stay and type more, but Jerry Springer is about to come on.....:lol:

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

You are NOT the Father!!!:cheers:

7. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

Bahahahaha!! :lol:

8. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Spare us your political rant on Romney.

9. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

:iagree:

10. Sdaanimal

Oops, too late. Spare us your opinion of my opinion. Making a point there, not bashing anyone. I didn't mention names...but if the shoe fits. Get over it, whomever you are.:p

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

It wasn't just 25 years ago, it was more recently and not just using the "N" word, which is offensive.

If we don't stop it where do we draw the line on being human beings? Do we not hunt down Nazis and still put them on trial? Should we just forgive them because we are making such a big deal of how they treat(ed) Jews? For all human sake we need to stop treating each other with less dignity than we do animals.

Sherry

[W]hen asked if she wanted black men to play the role of slaves at a wedding she explained she got the idea from a restaurant her husband and her had dined at saying, “The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.

“I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves.”

12. Sherry A.

Since you bring Rev. Wright into this let me ask you why you want(ed) to hang him but not Paula Deen? (no pun intended) I don't condone Rev. Wright whatsoever but I also don't pull a double standard when it is a white Southerner. Both Wright and Deen are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Sherry

13. Sherry A.

I voted for someone who listened to him but I don't think believed like Wright on racial issues. I also have a daughter who likes Deen's recipes but does not believe using the N word is appropriate nor does she think having a party with people dressed as "slaves" is cute.

Sherry

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but if Paula Deen can get fired for a word she used 25 years ago, can we fire the president for drugs he used 25 years ago?

:lol:

15. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Ugh really you want people to take this more serious, then lets take it out of the culture we are in today when you hear the n word in almost every rap song or people say "Me and my N's", "What up N", or "My N's comin over"

Really its ok to say it to your friends or in a song or call or be called, but god forbid someone else say it, then they are all offended!!

16. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

You're comparing Paula Deen to Nazis?

How many blacks did Paula Deen put into concentration camps? How many did she kill in an effort to eradicate the entire group?

I doubt seriously if we'd still be hunting Nazis if their only crime was to have called Jewish people "Kikes".

17. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

:hurray:

My thoughts exactly. The media is using her to fuel fires, pure and simple. I've never been a fan of hers or liked her cooking. I also do not know her personally as so many out there think they do. So, the next time one of you sit down in her home and have dinner with her, tell her I said hello and I'm sorry that she is not as perfect as those that are so ready to nail her to the cross. Lets not forget that we only know as much as the media would like us to know about this or anything else and that we are not in that courtroom to hear the entire story, lets not convict someone of a crime so readily (Duke lacrosse comes to mind).

18. Sherry A.

Using the N word was not all this woman did. She also thought it would be cute to have a "slave" themed party along with other things throughout the years and recently. I don't think those rap songs are one bit cute nor do I listen to people who degrade others. I don't care if it is degrading by race or gender it shouldn't be done.

Deen is only addressing something she says was done 25 years ago. How about she address more recent actions and I'm not talking about the "N" word. The lawsuit is clear on items she has done recently and we are not hearing about those items from her.

I'm appauled at the whole thing.

Sherry

19. sassymom

Theme parties are just that... and from what I read it was a plantation theme and she wanted black waiters.. No different from someone having a Mexican Fiesta, you wouldnt want a bunch of white folks for a marichi (sp) band

20. sassymom

Oh one more note of the party, she got the idea from a restaurant she had visited!!