Paula Deen in the news

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sdaanimal, Jun 26, 2013.

1. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

But you have her already guilty. Do you not stand for innocent until proven guilty? Have you read all the transcripts of the deposition? Just because someone brings a lawsuit against another person does not make the claims in their lawsuit truth. You, Sherry, have found her guilty as charged before the lawsuit has even had a chance to play out. The lawsuit for the Duke lacrosse players was clear too, but it didn't make it true now did it? Now maybe she is guilty of what the lawsuit "claims", maybe not but she along with her brother have the right to a fair trial, to tell their side and to have the court/law decide if they have committed a crime under the law and not in the public eye, which we all know is so bias (NOT!!!!).

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

3. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Interesting indeed.

Here's the end of the article:
    Deens’ attorney, Franklin, asked Jackson: “You have never heard Paula make a racist remark, have you?”

“Not heard it,” Jackson replied.

“You have never known Paula to discriminate against a person based on gender, have you?”

“I’m not aware.”

“And you have never known Paula to sexually harass anyone, have you?”

“Not me.”

What interests me more, though, is the tweets and texts from the lead lawyer who is suing Paula Deen. He has used sexists comments and made rude and sexual remarks about her.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I, too, need to read all of it and really want to read and hear all the facts. I still think having a "slave" themed party is way different than having other theme parties.

Sherry

5. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

It wasn't a "slave themed party" any more that "Gone With The Wind" was a slave themed movie.

From the article posted by sassymom:
    Later in the deposition, Deen was questioned about plans for her brother’s wedding and a restaurant she and her husband visited in “Tennessee or North Carolina or somewhere.”

“The whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie. I mean it was really impressive.

“And I remember saying I would love to have servers like that, I said, but I would be afraid that somebody would misinterpret.”

Look like you were the type of person Paula Deen was referring to when she said she would like to, but was afraid someone would misinterpret.

As the old saying goes, when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. When you go looking for racism, you will definitely find it.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

You do understand that plantations were a place of indentured servitude and fiestas are celebrations or parties, right?

By your logic I could have a holocaust theme party next week where all the servants are skinny Jews and that would be okay. It's just the theme after all.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

How else is one supposed to interpret an all black waitstaff wearing plantation style garb?

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

You can still find skinny Jews?

:jester:

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Good idea. Let's introduce a baseless stereotype into a discussion about stereotypes and racism. And since when are Jews supposed to be fat?

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Sherry, seriously? I mean, for real....???
    this might be thee dumbest response you have ever given....

:neutral:

11. Sherry A.

Not in my mind. Some of the other responses I read are the dumbest and most narrow minded I've read, in my opinion.

Sherry

12. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Well Sug,, you apparently don't read any of her other posts,,

13. Sherry A.

I just happen to disagree with Kell on this. I am waiting on all the facts with Deen but in a previous quote I put in are some of Deen's own words about the "slave" party and that is just beyond my comprehension.

Sherry

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

15. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I guess you are part of what is wrong with this country....too damn many PC people that get their feelings hurt at the drop of a pin.

Guess what suck it up.

16. sassymom

And you do realize that plantation has more than one meaning by definition, you can see it in a good or bad way, I prefer to see the good and not hold on to all the bad perceptions that can be associated with many things..

17. sassymom

:iagree: Or some of the people who can not think for themselves and are told when they should be offended :banghead:

18. KellBell

just like everybody else.....

and it's this (her) mentality, that let's this crap go on and on and on, YAWL.....

and Sherry, you be sure to be the first one in line at the WalmartS to get that reduced price Paula Deen cookware....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  19. KellBell

:hurray::iagree:

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Oh, I am sorry. I though not perpetuating stereotypes was thinking for myself and not just believing what I've heard about a certain class of people.

I do not need to be told to be offended. When I am offended, I am offended. You offend me.