Cedar trees dying....need arborist?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jlc007, Jul 1, 2013.

1. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

We have a line of mature cedars that provide privacy between our house and the neighbors. One has been slowly dying for the past year and has been one of those things that we "mean to take care of" but never got around to it.:banghead:
    Now there are three dying and we're realizing that the whole row can go and we need help. Got any great recommendations?? Thanks gang!

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

are you sure they are cedar trees and not leyland cypress?

3. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

Jay is a certified arborist and we just paid to have him come to our house. He is very knowledgeable. 919-522-1059

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

5. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

JellyBean.....

How much did he charge to come out, if you don't mind me asking?

6. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

C me

I have no idea.....neighbor said cedar when I asked. :?:

7. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Thanks Wayne

:)

8. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

You may want to check for "bag worms" not sure what the true name is.
    We had this issue last year, these worms hang on the tree with a brownish bag that they live in and will strip the tree bare, thus killing it. We were able to kill them with an insecticide soap that we sprayed on the trees, several times I might add to finally kill those buggers. Check your trees out for a little brown-type bag hanging off the inside limbs of the tree, they are about 2 inches long and very hard to pull off. Pull one off and squeeze the bag and the worm will pop out through a hole at the top. They seem to love the cypress trees best but I've seen them on cedars as well and some of my other trees in the yard but mostly those in the cedar/cypress family. These worms are very hard to kill but just keep spraying the trees.

9. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

sorry for the delay! $90 for an hour...so we walked all around the yard getting info on various trees and shrubs. He will also email a plan/suggestion based on what he found. For us it was some insects some fungus. Most things we can do ourselves....

thanks!

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

11. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.....

I found out from someone more knowledgeable that they are Leland cyprus. I'll check for the bag of worms. I'll probably just have to call the person Jellybean recommended because I'm out if my depth. Appreciate all the help!

12. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Thought so, Cedars are generally pretty hardy unlike leylands which are notorious to dying off and spreading to others around it.

It's a certain type of fungus that affects them and its hard to control sometimes. I think it's best to remove dead branches before it spreads.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  13. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Update

We ended up having Jay (recommended above) come over and we indeed have bag worms and fungus...ugh. Thanks Jellybean!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013