what to do with old comforters?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Jun 18, 2013.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I have several old, stained comforters from when my kids were younger. I thought about taking them to the laundry mat to see if I could clean them using the large compacity machines - but otherwise, how do I dispose of them? Too dirty to donate....

2. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

SPCA?

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I bet Canyon Ranch would take them too.

4. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Animal Shelters/rescues (the rescues usually

cut and sew into smaller squares for crate comfort during adoption events), homeless shelters, domestic abuse shelters .... whole lots of things to do with them :hurray:

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If you ship anything you can take stuffing out and use for packing material.

6. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

We took the stuffing out of ours (a neutral tone) and sewed it shut, use it on the beach as a GIANT beach blanket.

7. bandmom

thanks for the suggestions, those are great!
    I don't have a sewing machine, so I may call those places to see if they want them - and try to launder them as best I can before taking them. :lol:

Is there a laundry mat around exit 312? I rode by where I thought there was one, but looks like its just a cleaners now?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

It is behind cookout near Jersey Mike's (across 42 from Lowes).

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

it's still a laundromat. I used it a few weeks ago. There is an attendant there during all open hours.

10. bandmom

any suggestions for getting rid of used mattresses?

Goodwill doesn't take them, not sure if 'WIth Love from Jesus' does or not, their website doesn't list it as an item they don't accept, but can't get anyone to answer their phone...

11. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

just take the mattress to the dump - I'm thinking you need a decal to do this, though. Although one can take recyclables there for free. Correct me if I'm wrong...:neutral:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  12. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

What about laundering them and dropping them off at Harbor House, or at Pizzazz in downtown Clayton, they are always accepting donations for domestic abuse victims for setting them up in temporary homes.

13. bandmom

yea, we have the decal, and thats what DH suggested. But I hate to just throw away good mattresses. :neutral:

14. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

If still good, then post FREE on Craigslist

You'd be amazed at how quick off the curb.

Also, Salvation Army stores take them -- closest one I can think of is the one on Tryon (thrift store) - maybe they have a location in S'field? I'm sure Paws 4 Cause takes them as well (S.Saunders Rd into Raleigh)

15. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

16. bandmom

yeah, I'm thinking about doing the CL free thing.