*Rant* Health Insurance/Dr.'s visit

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying that we are a family of 6 and have no health insurance; we have always managed to self-pay for our Dr. visits and medications. Our pediatrician always tries to help with samples or coupons when available. We thankfully have not had that many serious health issues come up and do not go to the doctor that often. We have looked into health insurance for individuals (my husband is self-employed, I am a SAHM) but don't feel like we spend as much in a year as our deductible would be.

I want to change to a new physician, closer to home and with more services than where we have been going. Today, I called to try to make a new appointment and was told that since I don't have insurance, they will not see me.

So, I start calling around for health insurance quotes, and am told that because I am overweight and have high blood pressure, they won't insure me. Looks like I am in a no-win situation; I need to go to the doctor for high blood-pressure, but they won't take me because I have no insurance and I can't get insurance because of the issues I need to see the doctor for!

What am I missing...besides health insurance?!?! :?

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Why don't you try losing weight and eating right in order to lower your blood pressure? Then you might get insurance and live a healthier life that would prevent you from needing as much insurance. What a concept, huh? Why didn't you think about your health 15-20 years ago?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Let me guess; you are stick thin with no clue. You have no idea what this person is dealing with. What you wrote is just rude. Sometimes if people think before they type, the world would surely be a nicer place. Sorry if writing this is considered rude, but it is a knee jerk reaction to bullying. Please, some opinions could be hurtful and should be kept to yourself. Rant over.:neutral:

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

While it may have come across that way, I do understand his point. Not saying this is the case with the OP, but so many people today would rather blame the system than to blame themselves or even take any responsiblity for their situation.

6. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

I think his delivery was a little harsh. I have a friend who has tried for over 20 years to lose weight. Changed her diet, worked out, joined weight watchers, still she was morbidly obese. It took surgery to lose the excess weight and lower all of her numbers to acceptable levels. I also have another friend who is stick thin with insane high blood pressure, so you cannot automatically assume that it is a weight issue. Both of these ladies needed medical intervention, which requires a physician and is extremely expensive without insurance! When my dh lost his job, it would have cost me $650/mo to add them to my insurance. We couldn't afford it, but fortunately we were able to find affordable insurance through our auto agent. If we had not found it, we would have been without. A scary thought.

7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Exactly. Too many people in this world want to blame someone other than themselves for bad situations.

As my dad once told me, you reap what you sew boy.

America used to think this way....now not so much.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

While all of that might be true, I don't feel sorry for someone that is overweight AND has high blood pressure. I realize they can exist independently but poor health choices are in part why health insurance is so high these days.

And before anyone asks, I am 39 years old and ran 4 miles yesterday (training for a half marathon). I care about my health. I wish others did as well.

9. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't arguing the point you were making, just the delivery of it. I agree that you reap what you sow, just adding that sometimes the cause is not weight. Good luck on the half marathon! I am gearing up for my first 5K at 44. Not a lofty goal, but it's a start!

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Reminds me of someone I knew who worked for the USEPA. Ran and biked right up until he had a heart attack on the running trial and died in his very early 40s. No indication of a heart problem. He ate healthy and was an exercise fanatic at times .... but it just did not prevent the problem.

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I had a "healthy" teammate die on the football field too. Stuff happens....but I would rather control what I can control.

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

No problem...wasn't coming after you. Great job on the 5K preparation! 8)

13. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Thanks! You keep up what you are doing too...things change after 40!!!:jester:

14. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

As someone who used to work in cardiopulmonary rehab area, I can tell you it is not all unhealthy choices that land folks in there. Our one patient was 29 yo. Yep. On a side note, I have high bp and overweight(working on it). Was the epitome of fitness in my college days and beyond. Anyhow, I have a cardiologist now that monitors me very closely. Nuclear med tests and all. Arteries look great as does flow he said. Yet, he had me on bp meds b/c of family history. Family history is horrible. I asked him if I lost more weight, can I get off the bp meds. He said never as the family history is just too bad. He said I'd rather treat you now than to crack open your chest in 15 years. I concurred! Point is, some of it is family history. My dad was a Marine for 28 years. Runs and plays golf. Has extremely high bp but in perfect shape and not overweight. I have one daughter who is thin as a rail. Truly too thin but has medical dx's where she really can't gain weight. So, you just never know what each person is dealing w/. My goal this year is to be able to run a 5K. And yes, that may sound trivial but if I can do it, it will feel like a marathon. LOL.

AS for the op, health insurance I feel should be a priority b/c truly, you just NEVER EVER know what the next day will bring. Trust me when I tell you that. My daughter just received an unexpected dx yesterday. Nothing like a wake up call from Duke at 7am after reading an MRI. We've had health insurance for years for that very reason....not knowing. My kids are for the most part healthy thank goodness. But it all changes at the drop of a hat. Please folks, have health insurance.

Stephanie-- mom to 10 (soon to be 11)

15. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Lol

16. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Wow...why don't you try not being such an a**?? Maybe that's as difficult for you as it is for some people to lose weight. And as far as your other comments, I didn't try to BLAME anyone for my health problems and I certainly wasn't asking anyone to feel SORRY for me. Simply making a statement about an issue and hoping someone would chime in with some input from experiences of their own.

My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were all on the heavy side and ALL had high blood pressure. My mother died at age 60 and my grandmother, either late 60's or ealy 70's. That's way too young and exactly why I have been trying to make changes and look after myself.

Geez...people sure do ASSUME alot of crap when they think they know everything!

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

If your momanem died young and were big....why didn't you learn from it and plan accordingly?

18. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Seriously? For you, Canis Lupis, I have no more words. You are obviously just a very miserable a**hole that is not happy until you feel like you have one-upped everything anyone else has to say.

For everyone else reading this, let me apologize. This thread was intended to convey the fact that I cannot believe that I am no longer allowed to see a physician as a cash-paying patient; however, if I were letting the government foot the bill, it would be no problem. Or if I am going to be forced to have health insurance, then the terms should be reasonable and at an affordable cost.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

No appoligies needed, he has shown his darieair so much in the Political Pit he doesn't get the adrenalin rush anymore and has to inflict himself on the rest of you.

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

So in other words you wanted sympathy for your situation (of your own doing) but want to hear nothing of things that are your own fault or things you can control. Ladies and Gentlemen....I submit to you America, 2013.

Just to show that I have a heart, if you want tips on losing weight and lowering your blood pressure just let me know. I'll be happy to pass along some things I know will work.