Yellow flashing arrows

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

To the nice lady driving the gold Ford Escape this morning holding up traffic at the 40/42 McDonald's:

It is perfectly acceptable to turn left on a flashing yellow arrow. It simply means your turn is not protected and you are responsible for yielding to oncoming traffic. A solid yellow arrow means that it is about to go red and you should either clear the intersection or stay put behind your stop bar (if not already in the intersection).

Also, since we traveled the same general direction on I-40 after this, I would like to point out that the fast last is generally for passing slower cars and it is NOT a good idea to hover in someone's blind spot even after they have sped up or slowed down to get away from you.

I am stopping short of adding you license plate number here. It was very easy to remember although I have no idea what it means. Perhaps you should take the extra 20 minutes you spent on ordering your vanity plate on studying the rules of the road.

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I just dealt with this same issue down in Wilmington yesterday.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

flashing yellow - check
    Left Lane cruising - check

One more to add to the list -

It is OK to turn right on red! What is with people who refuse to go until it turns green?

4. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

If I'm at an intersection turning right and there's a red light, I will not proceed until I am certain that I can do so safely. Whether or not you think I can "punch it" and make it is your choice not mine. If you are running late, that's not my problem it's yours. As they say, "Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

You want make sure to be there on time, leave earlier.

5. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

There are times when it is illegal to turn right on red, as when the sign above the light states this (No turn on red). I watch this happen every single day at the intersection of Tryon Road and hwy401/hwy70. I cringed every day when I watch these idiots that are at the red light on Tryon, creep up as far as they can and then turn right on a red light onto busy hwy401, which is illegal here, I'm sure it's because of a safety factor of how far you have to cross over with oncoming traffic. Either way, I prefer to play it safe and wait until it turns green and even then you better count to three before moving forward because of all the last minute red light runners in that area.

6. Palisade

Speaking of signs (and in the same vein as the right turn), it would seem that most people around here don't know what "U Turn Must Yield" means. I don't know how many times I was turning right and almost got side-swiped by someone making a U turn from the cross street.

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I understand the Right on Red rules. I am referring to those that will not make a legal Right on Red turn when it is safe to do so, even if it is totally clear.

8. Palisade

Then that is completely different.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Dont even get me started on stop signs... :banghead::banghead:
    and a 4 way stop? OMG!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

They just put a 4 way stop @ 96 & 231. WHY DOT? WHY??

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I heard it was because some crazy woman keeps barreling through there without looking because she's checking out 4042.com on her phone!

11. harleygirl

LOL! Doesn't describe me at all. I actually only go thru that intersection once every 2 mos when I make the dredded trip to the WalMartS in Zebulon. :ack::ack:

I barely even talk on the phone when I'm driving. Don't tell my insurance guy I do go 5 mph over, 9 mph over on I95. :mrgreen: <love you PRM> :grouphug:

12. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Since this is a thread about road rules, let's test some knowledge. When is it legal to turn left on red?

13. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

When you are turning onto a one way street with traffic flowing to the left after a complete stop and it is safe to turn .... and you are in most states other than NC.

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

When you are lost in South Raleigh and you feel that your life is on the line if you dont ski-daddle ASAP!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I would have thought DOT would put out some sort of educational campaign about the flashing yellow when then changed them. I think it has been a couple years at least, but I never remember seeing anything on the news, or anywhere else for that matter.

16. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

What about people that slam on brakes when they see one of those speed checker things that show your speed.

17. harleygirl

I will. Come see us sometime, you'll have to call first. Got me a cow gate. :lol::lol:

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Have to say, I'm guilty of that. It makes me feel violated when everyone else can see my speed!

19. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I know that a year or so ago this was on the books to be voted on but honestly do not know if it was or not. Just as there was to be a vote on whether or not motorcycles had the right to proceed through a red light if they were the only ones sitting there due to motorcycles not being able to trip the signal to change.

20. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

According to the website it is still illegal.

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/roadrules/

Right Turn on Red
    Right turns at a traffic signal with a red light are permitted after a complete stop, unless otherwise posted. Left turns on red are not permitted.