TWC up to their old crap again

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Aug 26, 2013.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Now they've dropped CBS again. Why is it that they just can't leave well enough alone. Sports figures can get a multi-year contract, why can't TV stations?

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I dont know, but I took great satisfaction in cutting the cord to cable last week and even more when I returned their cable modem today in favor of my own.

3. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Why is it Time Warner is the bad guy? It's CBS that's asking for so much. NBC, ABC and FOX are not making outlandish demands, only CBS.

What Time Warner really wants is to be able to offer stations a la carte, but CBS insists that Time Warner carry (and pay for) stations that no one (or very few) really want or watch.

If you want CBS, you can buy an OTA antenna. They cost about $15 at Walmart.

4. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

TWC. Sucks,, always has, always will.

5. sirputz

This not only affects the Cable (which I do not have) but the Internet, where I watch all my TV shows the day after. I watch CBS for the most part because I enjoy their programs (Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, Survivor, Amazing race, etc)

Regardless of who is at fault, they're all greedy and need to get their head out of the A**es but I guess I'm :beathorse:

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Get an OTA tuner and tell TWC to stick it.

7. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

If this was truly the case why haven't any other cable companies dropped them? Also, you will never find cable companies going the ala carte route! For specialty items like MLB, NFL, etc, yes. But for general programming its just not gonna happen. If that was the case most people would probably only take 5-10 channels and lower their bills tremendously, consequently putting the providers out of business very quickly. They make their money by packaging programming.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I read something recently that suggested a la carte wouldn't really lower TV bills. Can't remember specifics but ESPN, for example, is like $7 (cost) for TWC but if a la carte became an option it would be over $30.

Internet programming will be what drives down TV prices....but of course that will only drive up internet costs.

9. sirputz

Apparently you didn't read correctly. "This not only affects the Cable (which I do not have) but the Internet, where I watch all my shows"

And i did tell TWC and CBS to stick it. maybe in not so nice of terms, but I did.

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Yea...I missed that. There is software that will allow you to hide your location (since not all CBS stations are blacked out). I'll see if I can find it.

11. sirputz

thanks that would help i hope

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I emailed a friend about it and here is his response.

If you have Google Chrome, download the extension "Media Hint".

It blocks your location so that you can view content blocked in your region. Also works great for streaming ESPN3 games blacked out in your area.

ETA: Looks like Firefox has the same extension for "Media Hint"

13. sirputz

Ok, and how does it work, cause I dl'd it and it doesn't change anything.

14. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I don't have any issues watching CBS on TWC? I have been since this started weeks ago. They said it was only like 7 markets, and NC was not one of them. And I can still access their website and view shows online. So sounds more like a localized problem for you.

I have TWC for TV and Internet.

15. snowdio

snowdio Well-Known Member

Get the facts straight everyone

I was an engineer for TWC in Durham for 9 years so I can speak with facts not fiction. Everyone is dumping on TWC when it's CBS that is the problem. They are trying to get an enormous amount of money from each TWC customer that subscribe‎s to cable. Like any business if your cost of doing business increases that cost is passed on to the customer. Everyone seems to forget the CBS is a Commercial broadcast station THAT GETS PAID by advertisers. If there were NO cable companies, CBS, NBC, and ABC would ONLY generate income from commercials like they have for the last 50+ years BEFORE there was cable. The 3 major networks are available for FREE over the air so why are they even allowed to charge any cable company or dish company money. They are FREE channels people. Dish Network, Time Warner, Comcast, etc should NOT have to pay a dime to carry those channels unless the networks want to DROP ALL the damn commercials they have. That would be a different story and then I could see them trying to charge. Also every cable and satellite company all have different contracts that end at different times. Satellite companies have had to blackout channels in the past as well. NOT just TWC. And the Raleigh market has NOT lost CBS since they are under a different contract.

16. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

TWC. Still sucks.

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I have no problem with any of that. I think most people I know that hate TWC do so because their customer service sucks. THAT is something they can control. Dealing with TWC customer service is like dealing with government employees....they don't give a ****. One day they might.

18. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

So true .. (cept for the last statement) The way the monthly fee kept going up and then their customer service in the overall is not worth having to deal with them. And yes, I realize I could do as I've read others done and go thru their act of congress regarding "negotiating a monthly bill fee" but I shouldn't of had to - specially after being with them for 20+yrs.

19. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, they have this new commercial where in the they say that, if you switch now, you get a $300 debit card. How come I can't get a $300 debit card for being with them for 20+ years? Doesn't customer loyalty mean anything?

It reminds me of another commercial (maybe I'm watching too much TV) for Ally bank where the kindergartners are being introduced to a new student. The teacher tells the kids the, since he's new, he get's the brand new 140,00 color crayon set, but they still have to use the old broken crayons they've been using.

20. sirputz

I have come to the conclusion that no one reads anymore.