TWC up to their old crap again

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Aug 26, 2013.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I have been on "chat" with TWC for the last hour, been redirected 3 times, and disconnected once. And you wonder why TWC gets a bad name snowdio?

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

lol.. selective reading

3. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

That's the problem, they hear and not listen. and I'm not just talking about this forum. TWC does it as well. You don't know how many times I went back and forth between Cable and Internet help

4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Yes, TWC does suck at a lot of things. Haven't had them for that very reason since 1998.

Lived in Cary at that time and every time it rained our cable would go out. I never did figure out why an underground cable would go out because it was raining!

We decided to go with DISH and had a two year commitment. At the end of that commitment we decided because of TWC advertising to give them a try again. They swore they had improved both their service and pic quality.

Our new system was installed at 10am and once I realized just how superior the satellite pic was we immediately cancelled TWC. I mean immediately. I took the equipment back to TWC by noon that very same day.

We've now had Directv for 10 years and love the ability to record five shows at once and tremendous pic quality. Yes, it does occasionally have a rain fade issue but to me its a small price to pay considering how much better the pic quality is. Their customer service is much better than TWC, but still not perfect. I guess nobody is.

We still have our Earthlink cable service via roadrunner and it has always worked fine and I must admit at a lower price than if I'd ordered it directly from TWC!

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

You were either not on an HD channel or your settings were wrong.

6. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Wrong! Directv picture quality is far superior to TWC. Maybe TWC compresses their HD too much but for some reason it's nowhere near the quality as Directv's.

7. space_cowboy

It's all 720p/1080i...the provider doesn't determine what the quality is. Each channel determines that and then it's up to you to be able to see it in that resolution. I switched from DTV to TWC a year ago and didn't see any quality difference, but I did have my settings correct.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

this is incorrect

you're right about the resolution though

9. space_cowboy

Provider, as in TWC or DTV. The History Channel, Discovery Channel, ABC, etc determine what the resolution is.

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

No...there's some term that slips my mind right now...I want to say compression or downscaling (not sure) that is done by TWC and DTV.

If affects the quality albeit not very much.

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

We had that issue here at work until we upgraded to a pure fiber optic feed. What was causing our issues when it rained was that somewhere along the line someone had cut the cable and it had been improperly spliced back together and would "short out" when it rained.

12. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

In the past, most cable companies compressed 2 or even 3 channels into the "space" of one channel due to lack of bandwidth. Satellite providers did something similar, although they never went higher than 2:1.

However, TWC has since abandoned that practice in favor of Switched Digital Video roughly 2-3 years ago. When you change the channel, the box (or Cable Card/TV) sends a signal back to a device upstream to tell it to send a channel to your TV, therefore it has plenty of bandwidth to spare. So there is no longer compression like there once was. Satellite TV still uses a compressed video signal since it is a one direction service (aside from using the Internet to get On Demand).

So in fact, TWC should have a superior picture quality to Satellite now.

They are both 720p, or 1080i, but due to compression factors you may see pixelation or "digital snow".

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Interesting...good to know. Thanks.