Inflation?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kevinsmithii, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

To be fair:

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Last i heard the price of gas was largely based on what the Wall Trader speculators "think", as well as any natural environmental disasters that disrupt the flow of oil and what the Middle East wants to do. How much was gas under Nixon? 15 cents? Then went to crap while Carter was in office. That mean the oil embargo was Carters fault?

3. Wayne Stollings

Fact, the gas prices dropped along with the economy during 2008 and into 2009. No economy, no fuel purchase, the supply increased and demand decreased so the price follows.

4. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

No. to be real fair he responded in kind to her taken it down that road. Unlike myself.

5. Wayne Stollings

You should read more closely as this was the first comment on the fuel issue .... maybe the oil baron comment got to you.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I agree that political debates should be posted in the Political Pit but this topic does lend itself to politics. We should probably not bash any president on the Discussion Forum without trying not to make it about Party politics.

I played a part in this and for that I apologize. Inflation is what is.

Sherry

7. Wayne Stollings

Coal prices as fuel does not appear to be the cause

[​IMG]

8. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Both embargoes (there were two, one in 1973 and one in 1979) were the result of actions taken in whole or in part by the US so, yes, Carter was responsible for the embargo in 1979 (and Nixon was responsible for the embargo in 1973).

The difference in the two, though, was in how the president at the time responded to them. Nixon instituted a price freeze program, as well as rationing which kept the price of gas low during the first embargo. Carter, on the other hand, only instituted rationing, which allowed the oil companies to raise their prices to ridiculous levels (at the time).

9. C me Now BMM

Fuel in relation to spike in electricity. Such as nuclear or coal. Not so much gas.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Actually after coal the fuels derived from oil and gas are the most used fuels for powerplant generation.

http://www2.cec.org/site/PPE/fossil-fuels

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My friend, have you looked at the long term chart on your link? Once you do you might want to delete post #17.

It looks like after the economic situation in this country improved the price of gasoline has now stabilized and never reached the levels reached during the administration of he who cannot be named without GOP members freaking out! :jester:

12. C me Now BMM

Yeah. Natural gas. Not gasoline as she mentioned

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I realize that, but Diesel and other forms of oil are heavily used.

14. Wayne Stollings

Ahhh, the Oil baron reference was to coal and nuclear fuel?

I just posted a graph of coal prices and they do not seemed to have doubled as was stated. Do you have any indication that nuclear fuel has in fact doubled?

Wow, a statement saying the original statement was and is true based on the price of gasoline ... how does that relate to the price of coal not being doubled again?

15. Wayne Stollings

Also odd the spelling police <cough> Canis <cough> and <cough> polentardmafia <cough> have not commented of the added "r" in baron .... I guess it has something to do with a double standard <cough> hypocrisy <cough> or two.

:jester:

16. Wayne Stollings

Yes, I believe you did unless you have data on the doubling of coal prices to pull your buddy's chestnuts out of the fire.

17. C me Now BMM

Who's nuts.

18. Wayne Stollings

Yours when you claimed he was speaking of coal and nuclear fuel doubling instead of his gasoline references.

19. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

To heck with fuel! To heck with coal! Can someone please tell me why an automobile ignition key would cost $160.00?? When there's only $3 worth of electronic components inside it & 10 cents worth of Chinese steel?

"First they get you with the cell phones!!!" @#$%^&**(*&^#$%^

20. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Why is the key so expensive? It's those capitalists(teabaggers)!