BCBS health insurance renewals

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Sep 25, 2013.

1. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a topic going without any political comments. I really wish we could just get some intellectual input about the plan(s).

Does anyone know if you decide on one of these plans, if you have to go to a particular doctor or one that is in house. BCBS is accepted by most doctors, so does that mean that they will accept you as a patient on the new government plan? I can't seem to find this out.

I work for a small company, less that 50 people, my employer pays only 40% of my medical/dental. I would qualify for one of the plans, which I would definitely consider if I knew I could reduce my monthly premiums.

If anyone hears of an information forum going on at one of the colleges, churches, social clubs, etc, please post the meeting date.

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

LOL,, alrighty than. Considering it involves Urkelnomics it has politics written all over it. Go back to hidesinabox

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

We discovered by accident that BCBS has more than one network when we renewed our company plan last year. The network for the new plan was bare bones for both doctor and pharmacy coverage. There were other issues and we were allowed to switch back to the Blue 123 at the same price we had the previous plan.

We are looking at the options right now with BCBS. To renew the current non-compliant group plan for a year is an increase of 6.8%. To switch to a compliant group plan it will be an increase of 6.9%. If we choose to drop the group plan and go to individual plans that cost will have to be determined, but we are looking at it.

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Isn't this also analogous to incorporating the Cleveland area and paying more for total taxes, county and municipal, yet receiving more services, as opposed to just county taxes, and having little out here to show for it? Our deputies are overworked. Crime is increasing. Population density increasing. Development issues. trash removal options decreasing...etc...

My understanding of the plans is that you have a choice to go bare bones (pardon the pun) with a bronze plan, and increasing the more items covered by increasing the amount you choose to pay, to move it from to silver, gold, platinum.

I tell folks that the ACA is synonymous automobile insurance, with the exception that if you don't operate a vehicle, you don't pay for auto insurance. NC requires a minimum coverage level, and we are free to pay for more coverage, less deductible, by paying more for insurance. Yet, no one is forcing anyone to pay more than the legal minimum.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

That flexibility was available with most plans before the ACA. I moved mine around in order to absorb rising premiums each year.

6. Wayne Stollings

No, this was prior to the ACA compliance program. It was to illustrate the BCBS network is not the same for each plan, ie you may not have a doctor with an office in your county or you may not be able to use the major pharmacy chains for a prescription with this policy, not that you have a higher deductible or co-pay.

7. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

There really is no such thing as a "government plan" with regards to ACA. BCBS has several plans (Blue Advantage, Blue Select, & Blue Value) to choose from, and each has its own provider network. Blue Value has a more limited network than the others, but from what I see, it's got any of the providers that we use. You can look at the various plans and provider networks on the BCBS website, or contact a broker.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

That was the intent.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Where is this info coming from and why is it so? Because BCBS is only game in town to speak of?

10. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

Kind of odd that, in one post, you bemoan the fact that the thread turned political, then in the very next post you ask a question that can only continue the political aspect.

Well, whatever. Here's a link to the Forbes article from which the info was gleaned.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...nsurance-premiums-by-99-for-men-62-for-women/

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I must be missing something. I cannot find this. Link? Where am I supposed to look?

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I don't think asking a question as to where the information came from (source) or why that is the case is political in anyway. I wanted to know so I could look into it further.

13. bosoxfan

After you log in, click where it says "Look ahead to next year", then click on "Start Renewal". It'll show you your current plan and next year's plan.

14. bosoxfan

I think it's because of the maternity coverage that they're adding for guys. :lol:

15. Wayne Stollings

The individual plans now become more like the group plans, so they have to take everyone and not just the healthy ones they do not expect to have health issues. The costs for this coverage will go up to provide a healthy buffer for the insurance company.

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

moron

17. Wayne Stollings

Of course it will cost them more, they did not want to insure anyone who would actually use their insurance before. It is not like the insurance industry never makes money or anything. Just look at all of the very expensive high rise buildings and count which are not insurance company named ... that is simpler.

So you can keep your stupidity and your fake integrity.

18. Wayne Stollings

So you disagree or just have only one name you call everyone?

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I know a BCBS employee and he told me they pay more on a dollar each of the past 5 years.

Your commie president wants them to go under.

20. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Typically the names on the tallest buildings are banks, but I guess a lot of them do have insurance products now.......

Actually when you think about it...... any Financial Services company

********Disclaimer**********

Just cause you have a high rise building with your name on it does not mean you lease the entire building yourself. No reason you can't be a landlord as well.

******End Disclaimer**********