HVAC Service

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bonnie, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie New Member

I searched this forum this morning for recommendations of an HVAC service company as I had no AC at all. Over the last few years, kdc1970 as well as others mentioned Arctic Air numerous times. I am here to give Artic Air a shout out for great response, customer service, and rates. They were at my house within a hour of calling, quickly identified the problem, and I was actually in shock as to how reasonable the bill was. Arctic Air has a new satisfied customer. I highly recommend for your installation or service needs.:hurray:

2. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

i have used them and agree, they were quick to come and very reasonable

3. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

I have used them countless times for different homes and issues. I've never had anything but great experiences. Andrew is absolutely on the ball! I'll recommend them over and over!

4. Bonnie

Bonnie New Member

Well, I am going to have to eat my words on this one. I THOUGHT my AC was fixed yesterday, but alas, it was not. I called the service man last night to let him know that we still did not have air, and that the lines were frozen again. He came back today, did some other stuff and made some recommendations for some other service. While we chose not to do that at this time, he assured us that we had air, at least at that point. He asked that we wait an hour or so to turn the unit back on so that it could dry out. Sssssoooo, it has been back on for a couple of hours now, it is still 82 degrees in here, AND the lines are frozen again. Here I sit, over $300 invested over 2 days and still cannot sleep because of the heat. Ugh. :banghead:

5. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to chime in on this one, since our experiences (multiple) were not good with this company, but we had similar issues with Arctic Air and I want to encourage you to find another company before they cause you to have to buy a new unit too. Over two summers, we spent over $700 trying to fix our upstairs unit. This past summer, we called them out several times. They kept saying they fixed it and we had air...um...no, we didn't. Finally, they suggested putting leak seal in the unit since they couldn't find a leak that they said was the source of the problem. Long story short, still no air, called another service, had to buy a new unit. Apparently, leak seal is the single worst thing you can do to a unit. To make things worse, the person who came out after Arctic Air said he could have fixed the unit if we had called him first and it had not been repaired with leak seal. Yes, it would have been about the same repair cost as Arctic Air, but I would not have had to shell out $3600 for a new unit. When confronted, they offered no apology, no refunds for shoddy work, no nothing. I hated it because they came highly recommended from a friend, but it appears that they are not consistent and it was an expensive lesson for us. My recommendation would be to call Gary Price in Selma. He is honest and his prices are below everyone else we checked. Good luck.

6. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

I'm not taking up for any specific company, however, please realize that after you are dissatisfied with a HVAC company, the new company you call in is ALWAYS going to critique the other companies work and say that they would do it differently. Guess what? I can find 10 other people who would say the same thing about the new company you chose.

I happen to be on the distribution side of the HVAC industry and see this all the time, over the 100's of companies we deal with. Truth is, they all do good work (within reason), and make recommendations for repairs that most people refuse to accept or move forward with, whether it be money or being hard headed. Keep in mind, any time you have a refrigerant leak, the only correct way to fix the problem is to replace the coil, period. You can have it patched, or leak seal installed, but most of the time it needs replacing. That's when the hard decision comes in, most people don't want to fix it the correct way, because that costs too much. Your HVAC system is one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive part of your home.

Most companies use a flat rate pricing system, so that from company to company the charges are very close. The main thing that ends up biting the consumer is the knowledge base of the service technician that is doing the repair or diagnosis. If it is misdiagnosed, of course the pricing will be different if someone else finds the problem to be different.

PS: Certain brands of leak seal have been tested in all compressor types and brands and have shown no problems. However, there are some brands of leak seal that are not recommended. Typical distributors will not sell that brand of leak seal because of bad reviews. Most HVAC equipment manufacturers will say that this voids your warranty, but when faced with a bill of $1200 to replace a coil or a $300 bill to "try" and see if the leak seal will fix it, guess what is chosen after the warranty is out?

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

You assume they offered to repair and I refused. They did not. Their recommendation was to use leak seal, which essentially made the unit not repairable, or so labor intensive that it was not cost effective to do so. Considering what it cost to get a new unit, I would have been happy to correctly repair rather than use a cheap product that ruined the unit. This company had several chances and $700 or so to get it right. In my experience, they failed miserably. To each his own and everyone's experience may vary. Just my luck and inexperience with hvac units...and bad judgement in having them back out. Lesson learned.

8. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

I've alwys been pleased with Mikes heating and air.. does awesome work

9. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

I disagree, not ALL companies will give negative critique about other companies..

10. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! No AC this morning, Mike promptly returned our call and diagnosed and fixed our problem. Very satisfied customer. Oh, Mike's # is 919-934-4148. Love this forum!

11. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Strange that all the postings are from 2013 except the one about Mike's. It's also strange that we came home to one of our units not cooling and called Arctic Air and they answered - on a holiday weekend and came out this evening and got everything working in less than an hour and for a lot less than we thought it being a holiday and all.

So we will give a shout out for Arctic Air 919-796-4681

12. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

Really? I don't have any partnership, interest, or association with any HVAC companies around here. It appears that maybe you do. I searched this forum for help. I also searched on another forum and googled for reviews. Because of some negative reviews, I was hesitant to contact some HVAC companies. My DH reviewed my research and made the final decision. I find this forum helpful. I was trying to do the same. I come from a place of light and positivity. I'm too old to do otherwise. I have observed that this forum is not as active as it was. Maybe, negative and cynical members attribute to this.:chillpill: