Restaurant recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Judge Smails, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I'd like to get some input on places to have breakfast or brunch in the 40/42 area. Something besides the typical chain places like Cracker Barrel, etc.

Ideally, I'm looking for a 'greasy spoon' type place to try on weekends. Maybe even serves a brunch on Sundays.

I've had brunch at the Historic Wagner House downtown, and it was very, very good. I've been to Big Steve's Bagels and enjoyed it as well; 'Shiny Diner' is good too. Just interested if anyone has any other suggestions/opinions.

Thanks much! :)

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Terrafins sunday brunch, although probably not the greasy spoon type though

3. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Not quite 40/42 area, but Angie's in Garner is excellent. She's closed on Sundays. It's on West Garner Rd @ Yeargan.

4. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

2nd Angie's

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

come on.. someone has to recommend Toot N' Tell in Garner on old 70, I'm pretty sure it is before you get to Angies and on the left.

6. C me Now BMM

You just did. Lol

7. Judge Smails

Thanks for the ideas, and I'll definitely give them a try. If anyone comes across any other places I'm always interested in hearing about it.

And has anyone tried 'The Diner' in downtown Smithfield? A little further out but have passed by several times and thought about stopping in sometime.

8. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Have you tried Jones' on Main Street in Clayton? Been in business since 1958. 3rd generation ownership.

9. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Not 40/42 but Finch's in Raleigh on Peace St.

10. Judge Smails

Man, I don't know how I brainfarted on Jones'. I work right down the street and have had lunch there often so I'll definitely be checking them out. (Maybe it's because they're not open on Sunday and that's when I typically do breakfast out).

Thanks for keeping the ideas coming. Any other thoughts are welcome, even those a bit outside of the 40/42 area. :)

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Big Ed's in downtown Raleigh and Brigs (several locations in Cary, Raleigh & Triangle) are our favorite Saturday breakfast locations.

12. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

best breakfast in area. had breakfast there this morning. despite charity run/walk starting in moore square there was large crowd having breakfast at big ed's.

13. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

on the cheap

why not crash one of the hotels in the area that have the breakfast bars in the morning.

come in through a side door and kind of just look like you belong there.

:)

PS I have gone past the 'toot n tell' how is the food there?

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Remember that most reputable hotels require a key to get in the side doors.

15. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Really? Jones is filthy! IMHO

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Its a very old restaurant, their last health/sanitation rating was a 97.5. I don't think they would have a 97.5 if it was "filthy".

17. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

Never been but the WAFFLE HOUSE is always looking busy across from Walgreens

18. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

For breakfast we enjoy going to IHOP in Garner on 70. For dinner we like The Clubhouse and The Cleveland Draft House.

19. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

The silverware was dirty (and so was the replacement set). The table was greasy and the waitress reeked like cigarettes. The ketchup bottle had fingerprints on it, and there was a dead fly at the bottom of the napkin holder. This = filthy to me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  20. C me Now BMM

97.5 is a solid A.. so it is a really good score regardless of what you say..