Chicken breasts - small

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by PoohBear, Oct 11, 2013.

1. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Please, no jokes or "blonde" comments. Serious question. Since Food Town in downtown Clayton closed I can't find anything but large chicken (think hen) breasts. Some of my favorite recipes require small chicken breasts. I have looked everywhere. Thanks for your recommendations!

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Well you can get a knife and cut em into small chicken breast pcs

3. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

Yea I mean... really... that's what we do.

:?:

4. PoohBear

Sorry but they are not as tender!

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

<DOM on/> this thread is just so wrong on so many levels<DOM off/>

BTW DOM stands for dirty old man. :)

But I hope you find the small chicken breasts you need. Maybe try the IGA on Brightleaf in Smithfield or see if you can find a Carlyee C's. That's just my two cents.

6. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I've looked everywhere for smaller split chicken breasts too...seems like they are huge now and take so much longer to cook. I guess that's a way to get more money..only sell large ones so the total weight to get the number of pieces you needs is more.

7. PoohBear

I understand.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've gotten to where I like cooking with boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts, not only are they less expensive, I think they are more flavorful and stay moister.

9. C me Now BMM

LOL. Moister. What kind of thread is this Rocky ? Lol

10. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

small, tender, moist breasts. oh wait, we are talking chicken here. love your photo pooh, but i doubt it is really you. carry on blondie. lmao

11. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Been wondering if bigger chicken breasts are just full of hormones to make them bigger. Which also may make them tougher.

12. C me Now BMM

It's a pic of Paris Hilton. Lol.

13. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I like the boneless/skinless chicken thighs too! And I usually buy the chicken tenderloin breast pieces instead of the whole ones.

14. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Try some Capons

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-capon.htm

A capon is a castrated rooster. Capons are considered by many people to be a boutique and old fashioned sort of food, and they tend to have more tender, flavorful flesh as well as a higher fat content. The markedly different flavor profile of a capon is distinctive to consumers once they taste it, especially when the capon has been conscientiously raised.

Since most poultry is mass produced commercially, it can be difficult to find a capon unless a consumer has access to a quality butcher or small family farm. Experimenting with capon is considered to be well worth the effort by some.

The process of turning a rooster into a capon is known as “caponization.” Caponization happens between six and twenty weeks of age, depending on the producer and the chicken breed. Heritage chicken producers remove the testes of the cockerel surgically, while larger producers tend to induce caponization hormonally with the use of estrogen implants. The result in either case is a neutralization of the sex hormones which normally develop in roosters.

As a result of caponization, a capon becomes much more mellow, losing the aggression commonly associated with roosters. This makes capons easier to handle, and also changes the way in which their meat matures. Capons have more tender, fatty flesh because they are not as active as roosters are. They also tend to taste less gamy, because they do not develop sex hormones, which can impact the flavor of the flesh. In addition, their bodies undergo small physical changes, including the development of a smaller head, comb, and wattle.

Around the farmyard, a capon is much more safe than a rooster, because the birds are not aggressive. Capons can also be kept together without the issue of potential fighting. In the kitchen, roast capon is moist, flavorful, and very tender since the flesh starts out tender and the higher fat content acts as a natural basting agent. A high quality capon has a dramatically different flavor than traditional roast chicken.

Unfortunately, the industrialization of meat production has made capons rare. Chicken breeds raised for meat are engineered to mature quickly, so that they can be sent to market in as little as five weeks. This rapid development has an impact on overall flavor and quality of the meat which most consumers are not even aware of because they have never tasted more naturally raised meat. A capon raised in industrial conditions will taste similar to conventional meat, making the process rather pointless.

To obtain a capon as well as more flavorful and sustainable meat in general, consider acquainting yourself with a boutique butcher. Boutique butchers often butcher their own animals, or purchase meat from small local farms and abbatoirs. A small farm has the facilities and the time to raise meat slowly on natural fodder, resulting in meat with a more developed and interesting flavor. These farms will also provide capons, although you should put an order in early if you need a capon for a special occasion to ensure that it arrives when you need it.

15. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I'm a thigh and leg man myself......:mrgreen: