Trees to plant?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mingomama, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mingomama

mingomama Well-Known Member

The trees are being taken down behind our property. When we bought the property we were told the land would never be touched (I know, famous last words). However, now it's being cleared for a housing development. (The owners have other developments, on which no home has been built to date.)

Anyhoo, we are looking for a fast growing type of tree that we can plant in the back and sides of our yard. We want something that will grow tall, bushy, and provide us with privacy.

TIA for any suggestions.

2. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Red Cedars are relatively cheap and fast growing. I used to get them from the Forestry Service on Old 70, near Pine Hollow Golf Course.

4. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Its not a tree but it is a fast growing bush that grows really tall, thick and is evergreen. Ligustrium. There is the solid green and the verigated type. I have both and the solid green seems to grow a bit quicker than the verigated. I planted a row between our yard and the lot next to us. Made a nice thick tall privacy hedge. Has a fragrant white flower in the Spring and is virtually bug & disease free.

5. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

I think the most famous privacy tree is the Leyland Cyprus. There's a lot of other trees out there, but these are generally inexpensive and can grow several feet a year.

I'm sorry to hear about your privacy issues. :?

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Wax Myrtles. They are native to North Carolina, stay green year round, never need fertilizer and are good for privacy. I planted them as a natural fence on both sides of yard years ago and they are wonderful. No need to worry about disease, just let them go.

Sherry

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Also pompass grasses grow BIG. I'd sprinkle some in between the trees you plant.

I have some at the pond and cant WAIT for them suckers to be BIG BIG BIG!!! :twisted::twisted:

8. dgsatman

That stuff's too high falootin' and snooty for me.... :lol:

9. harleygirl

LOL! I got them on sale and if you had to see what I see when I go to my own pond, you'd KNOW why I planted them in FRONT of the crepe myrtle trees that are already on that side of the pond. :twisted:

10. dgsatman

Pompass ( pompous) grass..... :)

11. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

wait till you have to prune that grass back. that's why folks get rid of them

12. Sherry A.

Yep. Those suckers will cut you up when you have to prune them or even walk to close to them.

Be careful Harley....

Sherry

13. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

A good gas or electric hedge trimmer always worked wonders on mine. No problem.

14. Sherry A.

Hum, my neighbor and I have always done ours manually. What fools we are. :lol:

Sherry

15. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Yep, the longer the bar the better and I used an old pitchfork to move the cut off leaves. No pain at all.

16. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

These unfortunately are subject to disease and spreading easily amongst each other and dying out. life spans are questionable.. shallow roots so they blow over easier the larger they get.

17. harleygirl

That's the point. LOL

DF's across from my pond have no idea where the property line is. AND they think it's ok to just ride their 4 wheeler onto my property to look at the pond (weird i know), so I'm creating a barrier. Holly trees are going in up there also. :twisted::twisted::twisted: AND anything else I can buy that's prickly (barbwire comes to mind) :lol:

18. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

Nellie Stevens Holly might be a choice for you too. I would plant a mixture of plants. Plant a mixture of holly, wax myrtle, cedar trees, and magnolia for example.

19. Sherry A.

You are wicked. Love ya'.

Sherry

20. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a prickly barrier, I have some Yucca plants that you are welcome to come get. Plant 'em close & I guarantee they wont come thru those... They are hardy & multiply like crazy too.