Polenta parents

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by keemom, Oct 27, 2013.

1. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

Just wondering how other parents feel about the enhancement schedule this year, specifically kids have gym and library time for 1 week every 8 weeks? I personally feel they should have both once a week every week, more in line with the schedule last year. Anyone else?

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

least of my thoughts,, its football sunday.. enough said.

3. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's different due to the new principal, or could be a county wide change????:?::?::?:

4. ncgal

ncgal Well-Known Member

We HATE the schedule!

My kids hate the new schedule! I don't blame them at all... especially for boys who live for PE! They spend 8 weeks with nothing to look forward to and then they only get one week of the class they enjoy! I had high hopes with new administration, but have had nothing but problems.

5. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

It's not a county wide change. My daughter still has every enhancement once a week.

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

According to NC Policy ID Number: HSP-S-000:

A minimum of 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity shall be provided by schools for all K-8 students daily. This requirement can be achieved through a regular physical education class and/or through activities such as recess, dance, classroom energizers, or other curriculum based physical education activity programs. However, such use of this time should complement and not substitute for the physical education program.

I am glad this is in place so they are getting some physical activity each day.

7. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

My daughter loves PE and the library! She's upset that they are not allowed to wear costumes for Halloween either, apparently it's not part of the common core curriculum. I'm all for her learning, but they are kids and need to have fun sometimes too! Occasional festivities, along with physical exercise more than every 2 months, is important for keeping them well rounded and interested. Just MPO.

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I looked this up yesterday and saw where the children are going to get physical activity daily. Not sure how they are doing that but hopefully that will help on the P.E. side.

I am more concerned with the children not going to the library. These are the ages where a child should learn how to use a library and learn to love books and reading. What in the world are they thinking not introducing children to wonderful world of the library as often as possible?

Kids should be allowed to be kids. Halloween is a wonderful time. Not sure if the absence of this fun holiday has to do with some not believing in it or not. What a shame.

Sherry

9. ncgal

ncgal Well-Known Member

I agree that they should be able to visit the library more often as well! Enhancements are an important aspect to the school day for most children. It is even more so for those whose strengths may lay in another area other than academic subjects. Art, Music, PE can be the hook that keeps kids invested in school. As far a PE, they do get recess daily which is what they are factoring in, but for some kids they like the competitive side of the formal PE class!

10. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I believe the only daily exercise they are getting is recess, which is held I. The classroom (trailer for my daughter) when they can't play outside.

I absolutely agree with your library statements and am pretty shocked at the new schedule. Isn't there some new reading initiative for the schools to follow?

The Halloween thing has nothing to do with beliefs. I was told it is because it's not a part of the curriculum, and that is apparently the same reason the Kindergarten classes will not be performing the Thanksgiving play this year either. Apparently no fun is allowed :)

11. mylittle_man

mylittle_man Active Member

We had nothing but GREAT years at Polenta. Sounds like middle school came just in time this year. I hate things are changing for what sounds like not to be in the best interest for the kids.

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I worked and volunteered in a school for years and Halloween is a distraction. There are more than enough things to do off school campus for that holiday. For as long as I can remember, kids that came in Halloween costumes were told to take the makeup off and remove the costumes, and/or if they didn't have clothes underneath, we called home.

As far as the special treats go, there are alot of kids with allergies and special diets and unless you make special treat for kids with those issues, then nothing should be brought in.

13. C me Now BMM

It's the season of evil and the devil. Keep glorifying it.

14. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

The kids at our school are allowed to dress up as a storybook character or a future career for Halloween. They are really excited about it. I agree that kids need fun along with the curriculum. When I was in elementary school, I loved going to school! I remember being able to dress for Halloween and I remember when we had show n' tell even in 3rd grade.

15. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

My elementary school did a Halloween parade every year. We would march around the outside of the school and all the parents that could, would be there watching us. I remember going past my mom, waving to her, with my baby brother in the carriage next to her. As irritated as I am by the new enhancement schedule, I'm also a little sad that my daughter won't have similar memories from her elementary school experience. I want her to be well prepared for her future, but I also want her to enjoy being a kid.

16. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

Part of me wants to send her to school in her costume just to screw with the administration ;). But that's who I am, she would be heartbroken to get in trouble. Not sure where all her goodness comes from!

17. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Grow up. This thread is about the children....leave your other stuff at home.

Sherry

18. C me Now BMM

Beelzebub