Where to buy dwarf Japanese Maple trees?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pbarefoot, Nov 4, 2013.

1. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

Hi folks:

I'm thinking about planting a couple of dwarf Japanese Maple trees in my front yard. Just wanted to know the best place to buy them? Also, if anyone owns one of these, what are your thoughts on them? Do they grow in direct sun, how big will the dwarf variety get, etc?

Thanks,

PB

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

try swift creek nursery possibly

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Lowes will have them and Broadwells Nursery off 210

Grow them in direct sun.

I have 2 of the regular size and they are BEAUTIFUL! I'm getting ready to transplant one that's about 10 ft tall and not doing great because the previous owner planted it in the wrong area of the yard that gets MINIMAL sun. The guy that came 2 weeks ago to deliver dirt said I could get at LEAST $2500 or MORE for the other one I have! :shock::shock:

Hmmm... that's tempting!! :lol::lol:

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I believe this is the new location of the place I purchased several of our japanese maples. They are all grown there so they are adapted to the climate much better than trees shipped in form other locations and they are reasonable in price for the sizes. They do nothing but Japanese maples and are a wonderful source of information. We purchased two for the house we built and the current house has two more from them before their property was taken up in a development. They used to be on Glenwood near the airport.

http://www.japanesemaples-nc.com/

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

That's where we bought some of ours as well,before they moved to their new location.We bought ours when it was about 2-3' high and now it's closer to 15'.There are many varieties out there,some like full sun like "Blood Good" while others prefer at least some shade.The lace leaves are very nice as well.I get 'baby's' every spring and transplant them into pots for a couple of years before transplanting them into the yard.Swift Creek Nursery would be a good place to check as well,as someone else had stated,plus it's a little closer,on Cleveland Rd.,the owners name is Lanny Thomas,I used to work there many years ago and bought another one of the Japanese maple there.

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

if you want a dwarf, get one named " Tamukeyama". You can prune them into any shape / size u want.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

contact Erin Weston @ Weston Farms in Garner, I have seen her at alot of farmers markets and plant/gardening shows with Japanese Maples that she sells. She has always had a wide variety to choose from.