Need internet service - HELP!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Nov 6, 2013.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

OK, I'll try to make this as simple as I can...

We moved into a new house a month ago. We are in the 40/42 area, right down Cleveland Rd. However, our house sits back far from the road. I have been trying for 2 months to find a company to provide me with internet, and I'm not having any luck! AT&T, who I've used for years, said the only services they provide currently for our address is home and cell phone. OK...my husband has wanted Road Runner for a while anyway, so I tried them next. They sent someone out for a site visit, then received an email reply that we are too far off the road, and there is a minimum number of homes required to go back that far. OK. Then called Directv to set up my move with them, they told me they are affiliated with Centurylink (who I didn't really want, but getting desperate). So I spoke with them, they said no problem, we can service you. They send me the equipment, for 3 weeks I've been waiting for them to set it up from their site, and today they finally said they can't service me, I'm too far out from their tower.

Now I'm really getting desperate! We are currently using an AT&T mifi, but we have limited GB, and even after increasing it, we are still going over every month, and we are being careful! (5 people, 3 kids use it for school, 2 ipads, 1 computer, and we're not even connecting our phones to it, so going over our phone usage as well!) Anyone have any other ideas? Anyone I've forgotten about?

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Dish Network offers internet service via satellite, but I think it's billed on a per/gb plan (I know it used to be). I don't know if that would be any better than your MiFi. I considered it a whiole back, but those restricted plans are a bit hard to swallow.

3. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Verizon's Jet Pack or MIFI is quite reasonable. Every 2 Gigs cost 10 dollars.

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

We go through about 20GB, and that's being stingy!

5. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

We have Earthlink, but they run thru TWC...
    Wish you the best of luck, but if you're that far back in the woods, you need to hang up the internet and just enjoy nature!!! (Or let me shoot at Nature for ya)

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Welcome to MY world!!!
    We use the hot spot on DH's cell phone to get on the internet.

HughesNet got awful reviews
    Verizon = you have to put an antenna up (NOT doing that)
    Direct TV has a company the sub out to but I can't think of the name right now, blue something... :?

7. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I have to ask hubby what we use but it is terrible :( We need a better option too!