Local Pecans

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Nov 13, 2013.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Anyone have a good local source for shelled pecans?

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Elizabeth's Pecans. The owner lives in Clayton and the farm is in Turkey, NC. He sells them all over NC but will even deliver them to you, if needed.

http://elizabethspecans.com/

Sherry

3. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Go to the Farmers Mkt. At the very end of the bldg. before you go out into the tented area on the end is Perry Lowes Farms. Their pecans are great. Clean, full, good flavored. We buy ours there every Fall. Check out their fresh apple cider while there. YUM!

4. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

The Bundy's no longer live in Clayton. Sold maybe 2 years ago after Elizabeth finished high school. They still own the Turkey operation.

5. bissielizzie

Thanks I'll check them out tomorrow.

6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I was out at Farmers Market last weekend and the shelled pecans were 10.00 a pound.

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Whoever pegged inflation at 2% doesn't go to the grocery store!!! :?

8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

It's a shame; I used to buy pecans locally because there wasn't much of a difference in price. Last time I was at Trader Joes they were 6.50 a pound; that is a significant difference. I bake alot during the holidays and I just can't afford to not price shop.

9. bissielizzie

Costco has had 2# bags for around $13. They are good, not great. But certainly fine for baking. The last couple of years I have been buying them locally in Johnston county. And the going rate is $10# this year up from $8. Just hoping I can get some this year, haven't heard back from my source.
    I did check out the Farmer's market, so if all else fails I'll be heading back there.
    Thanks for all the feed back.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yes they still live in Clayton, just not in GL. Lol

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Another great place for shelled pecans is the new produce stand across from Food Lion on Hwy 210. Very nice folks as well!

12. bissielizzie

Our friends got some pecans from a Bonnie, 919-524-2252, I think she lives near Willow Spring. We have had her pecans before and they were delicious. Her trees are 85 years old Stewart (?) shelled pecans are $10# They have a sweeter taste to them then those we bought at the Farmer's Market. The ones we bought at the Farmer's Market had kind of a earthy musty taste to them. I saw the Lowes Food store had pecans in 12oz bags for $8 in the produce section.