used book store

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Just a thought I have been having on and off for about 10 years. Do you think our area (around the 40/42 interchange) could handle a used book store. A store kind of like Edward Mckay's in Raleigh. Something that bought and sold used books/cd's/dvd's/blue rays and such and had an area for coffee and wi fi, And had out of state papers.

Being a CNA is not where I had ever planed on being and I will be graduating in may with an associates of science degree. I have no idea what to do with that degree and I can not continue on to a 4 year school.

i am just thinking out loud or at least with my fingers.

2. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Short answer..........no.

There is already a used book store in Clayton, Paupers. With the proliferation of e-books, I think the brick and mortar book store is an endangered species, even with a coffeeshop/wifi.

kdc

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately :iagree:

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

:iagree: I have seen tons of used book stores come and go in everything from rural to urban sites. I used to hit them pretty hard looking for specific books and with the exception of one or two notable exemptions none seemed to last more than a couple of years because of the low margins.

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Heck, the Cleveland Library didn't even last :( So my answer is NO too!!!

6. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Don't know if it would be possible to create something locally like the Reader's Corner in Raleigh. It's been around forever and apparently still thriving.

I used to go there often to pick up vintage manuals (for oddities like the Atari computer) , but haven't been there in years.

Having just made the jump to a Kindle Paperwhite for a collection of tech books I need for SharePoint servers....I'd be hard pressed to go back to flipping paper pages.

7. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Readers Corner and Nice Priced Books, both on Hillsborough St, are still doing well. Nice Price also sells a lot of used vinyl and cd's but i think where they still thrive is from the college crowd and the students needing access to whatever books and so on.

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I still have though thoughts of a used book store Plus. I think I will end up going to Readers Corner/Nice Priced Books and Paupers Books and asking them how they sustain. Besides that what kind of questions should I ask of them? I just found out that Edward McKays in Raleigh closed

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Auxie likes this.