Costco @ 4042

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by macks012, Dec 26, 2013.

1. macks012

macks012 New Member

A number of years ago, prior to the recession, there was a rumor that Costco was going to build across 42 from Walmart.

A. Was the rumor true?

B. If so, is the plan still in effect or has it been abandoned?

C. If it is still in effect, what is the new timeframe?

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Last I heard it was large multi-use development project. Similar to North Hills. Something North of 600,000 sq ft of retail, commercial, apartments, and hotel. But then I heard that the economy put the plans on hold and nothing ever happened.

3. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

A. No
    B. See above
    C. See above.

There is some movement on the property now but nothing has been mentioned about Costco.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Is that property across from Wal mart still owned by Son-Lan? if I remember correctly it went way back and even butted up to I-40 it was so massive. And are they still looking to make it kind of a North Hills kind of destination? Shopping, hotel(s), condos, apartments and such.

5. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Right in front of Wal-Mart, at the stop light and going in to the property in question is partially owned by Son-Lan. They have a 60' wide strip going in to the property that is now being re-mapped and deeded into an 80' wide strip that will match the road coming out of Wal-Mart so everything lines up correctly.

Cant speak of what they are planning on doing with everything back there.

6. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We heard prior to 2007 Home Depot, retail, apts., restaurants, etc. A mix of high density living and retail. Then the last couple of times we heard things mostly the talk was about high density living, not so much about retail, etc. And recently, there has been a For Sale sign along 40. We are thinking because the redesign of 40/42 interchange won't be happening for a very long time and the addition of 540 is years away, plans for any major development are probably on hold until the roads are in place.
    As for Costco, never heard 40/42 talked about, maybe White Oak or near the outlets and 95.

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I heard it was gonna be a Six Flags :beathorse:

8. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Just wait till I hit the millions. I'll open up a six flags in Johnston County!

I'll sell 6 different kinds of flags.... :jester:

9. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

What is going in near the Lowe's at 40/42?

10. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member