My 1st car was a ...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

... 1968 Mustang ... had a stock 390 cu in motor that would get the job done! Changed the stock wheels to some Cragar Mags, added a Mini-8 8-track tape player from K-Mart and some 6-inch Pioneer speakers in the back.

I have a lot of good memories in this car! Wonder if it's still on the road?

This pic is from June, '76, right after HS Graduation. Getting ready to go to a buddy's wedding.

[​IMG][/URL]

- - - - - - -

What was your 1st ride?

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

1975 Chrysler Cordoba

And yes it had Corinthian Leather. This image is similar to the one I had.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

1969 Volvo 142 - Exactly like this one -

[​IMG]

5. Rockyv58

I loved that car, It got totaled by some girl who ran a stop sign in a camaro. She hit me so hard and never even hit the brakes. That it moved the Cordoba about 5 feet sideways. She hit the front of the car bounced off and hit the back of the car. Completely totaled it. Sad thing is that was up in New Jersey and its a no fault state. She tried to sue me for damaging her car and braking her nose. Her Camaro was repaired. And of course since i was only 17 my family didn't believe me that it wasn't my fault. And if I was a split second faster she would of hit the drivers door and I wouldn't be here typing this.

6. Rockyv58

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My old AMC Spirit :cheers:

8. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

My first was a late 1970's AMC Pacer. Red (faded like the one in the picture), with (ugh!) wood grain side panels.

Gotta admit is was a comfortable ride and stable with the wide wheel base, but was about as ugly a design as have ever been put into production!

[​IMG]

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My Stepfather was an assembly-line worker putting those things together, he called them an aquarium.

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Mine was similar, but with a black vinyl roof and black hood stripe. It was a stock 351 CJ (Q code), 4 bbl, dual exhaust ticket magnet. It ran 30 mph at idle and somewhere north of 130 mph when wound out. I lived in the mountains so it never quite got up to full speed, but every cop in a two county radius knew whose car it was .... there was none like it. One of my best friends had a 1969 Roadrunner with 4 spd. that we dropped a 440 bored 10/1000ths over, stroked, and blueprinted added a dual point distributor, Elderbrock intake with 3 2 bbl carbs, headers, but did not change the gearing so it topped out at 111 mph, which was also the top end of my Kawaski and my Kaw would get there much faster ... pulled the front wheel off the ground in the first three gears. Lucky to have kept my license and even luckier to still be alive after all the things we did. Broke the stock steel wheel on the Roadrunner sliding through curves on the mountain. There was one lug with metal intact on each side and that was it. Blew out the rear tire on the Kaw at somewhere north of 80 mph while passing a semi. Rode a bucking bronco for a mile while getting it slowed down. Lost one friend to a motorcycle accident and another to an auto accident in a class of 68 kids at graduation.

[​IMG]

11. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

...a 1969 Dodge Dart - Dark Green w/vinyl top.

12. Rockyv58

Did it have a Straight 6 in it? I heard those engines were indestructible. What do you think of the new Dodge Darts?

13. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

It had the 225 slant.

They dont make them like they used to!

14. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Mine was a two tone blue on blue 1972 Dodge pick-up with a 440 with a 6 pack out of a Roadrunner in it.

[​IMG]

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

I had a blue Dodge Dart at one time, too! And, it had the good old slant 6!

16. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

you old fogeys are making me jealous!!! My first car (that I bought) was a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire (that got totaled in 2012) but the first I drove was a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Titanic) That thing would never die. You had to hit the door panel with a hammer to get the window motor to work, but it ran like a dream. Ended up in a Demo derby somewhere. Also ran a 1987 Mercury Cougar with a turbo-boosted engine. Man that was a hot car!! all black, great sound, moon roof, and it got the ladies! My first girlfriend was a benefactor of that car! She would go nuts when she was in it! (I drove it as often as I could) [​IMG]

17. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My first car was a late 70's Oldsmobile Starfire GT in red with the racing strip down the side. I loved that car until I moved back south and went through a summer here without air conditioning in it! [​IMG]

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Karmann Ghia, my dad bought it for himself and my mother said "Um no!" haha I got it and he was fortunate enough to watch me drive it. lol

Sherry

[​IMG]

19. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

69 Merc Cougar XR7

[​IMG]

Yes, even down to the baby caca green/yellow color. 351..with Holley 4 barrel carb...couldn't keep tread on the rear tires.

Sure do wish I'd held onto that one.

20. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

1976 Plymouth Arrow. Brown just like this one. I loved that car!

[​IMG]