cable modem & home phone

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of questions. Last year I did the twitter thing and only got a one year contract. It is up next month. I know I have seen in the past posts about getting my own cable modem and returning the motorola to TWC to save money. Any suggestions on that?

Also I got my BJ's coupon book and on the back page there was a ad for the verizon home phone connect. Any information on that? I know you need a two year contract on that

Thanks

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

This model is rated as one of the best cable modems out there - http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0

I have had that model for the last 2 years with TW with great success.

I have also had Vonage for the past 6 years, love them for my home phone.

I also have my own cable box, so I just pay for a cable card from TW (~$2/month).

3. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

We also had vonage for nine years and thought they were great as long as you never lost your internet connection.

Now we have cut the cord completely and use just our cells. Can't believe it took us so long to make this move.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I am interested in what you stated about owning your own cable box and paying for a cable card from TimeWarner. Could you please explain this in detail? Where does one get a cable box to own, how much is it, does the cable card allow a person to see all channels from channel 2 through 72, does TW bill monthly for the cable card, etc.?

Thank you,
    Sherry

5. jesse82nc

I get all channels from 2-1992 (minus premium which I don't pay for), I have a Moxi DVR (along with one Moxi Mate for the bedroom). It's a whole house DVR, and you can add external storage via USB. I have about 200 hours of HD recorded and it's at 26% full.

Unfortunately the Moxi DVR is no longer sold, as a new company bought them out and got out of the consumer business, focusing only on commercial now. But it was about $750 when I bought it along with the one Moxi Mate. That was at least 3-4 years ago now. Sometimes I see them go up on ebay for sale.

It's similar to a TiVo, except you don't pay anything monthly. TiVo is the only other DVR I am aware of that is compatible with TW at this point. It's sad that nobody else is making one.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. Sherry A.

So are you saying that if someone could buy a Moxi DVR, which is a one time cost, they would then need a software card from TW, which is about $2.00 per month and that would get someone the same cable channels they now pay and arm and leg for with TW monthly? Do you know of another box similar that is sold to consumers?

Sherry

7. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

8. jesse82nc

You still need to pay the same monthly fee for the channels, you just save the cost per month of each DVR/Cable Box/Remote you rent from TW. Which for me was about $17 a month before. So I save $15 a month, or $180 a year, which nets a 4 year return on investment for me. Plus I like the interface on my Moxi more than TW's box.

But you also lose On Demand, but I never used that anyway.

I see that the prices online have gone up a lot in the past 3 years, whole house DVR is not $28.98 a month, which would mean you would save $317.76 a year having your own now, faster return on investment there.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  9. Sherry A.

•Watch HD and SD channels that are in your subscribed TV plan

Above is what I copied from the TW site. Does a person still have to subscribe even after getting their own box and renting a cable card? What exactly does a "subscribed TV plan" mean? Extra costs.....

Sherry

10. Sherry A.

Okay, so my understanding is that you are talking about the hardware only. The "software" or monthly TW fee is still something that a person would have to pay. Am I correct? How much is the monthly fee from TW for the software portion? Couldn't I just use one of the new antennas to get channels instead of going through TW?

Sherry

11. jesse82nc

You would still pay whatever you pay today for your TV plan. Looks like I pay about $60 a month for my TV, but I have everything but the premium channels.

If you got an antenna, you would not need a cable box or cable card, you just hook the antenna up to your TV. No monthly fees at all. But you probably only get about 8-10 channels then. I am not sure what we can pick up out here.

My parents just hook their laptop up to their TV with an HDMI cable and watch regular Hulu for free. There's another cheap option for you. Or you could pay the $7 a month for Hulu Plus and watch it directly on your Smart TV.

12. Sherry A.

Right now I really like my cable channels 2 through 72. I don't use all the other stuff, other than a Pay Per View movie every so often. I do like recording shows like Scandal to watch later. I currently pay around $160.00 for my box, internet and cable. I'm looking to reduce that amount. I just think, for some reason, that I am getting beat by TW. I don't go out to movies much so I justify the cost, in my mind, by saying that the $160.00 compensates for all my entertainment purposes other than concerts and restaurants.

Sherry

13. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

You have to subscribe to a cable package. I think the only thing this setup does is to save you the cable box rental fee.

Once our contract with TWC is up, instead of playing the price game with them again, we're thinking of just keeping them for internet, using Magic Jack or something similar for phone, and an antenna for TV such as the leaf antenna - http://gomohu.com/. We've already got Amazon Prime and can (but haven't yet) watch some older TV programs and movies with that.

14. Sherry A.

I haven't clicked on your link yet, but am wondering if the antenna will pick up channels that cable has. I know they are considered cable channels but I like USA, Family, etc. Will an antenna pick these kind of channels up or just the local network channels?

Sherry

P.S. For those my age....an antenna in today's world is way simplier than we used to have and can just sit on or next to a darn TV. Amazing.

15. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Might want to also check out using a Roku with Time Warner. The Roku 3 is currently selling for $89 and you can install the TW app on it, which lets it act like a cable box....plus the Roku lets you pull in a ton of other channels, both free and paid (Hulu, NetFlix, etc.). 8)

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=37390&highlight=roku

16. Sherry A.

Thanks Webbie. Do you have to pay TW for the app you are talking about and what exactly does the app do? Remember I am really computer/technically challenged.

Sherry

P.S. My boss was just telling me he purchased that Roku and they just love it.

17. jesse82nc

You still need to have the cable service with a Roku to use the TW cable app. Just not the cable box. But the app only has a few channels, I have it on my tablet.

And no, you can't pick up stuff like USA on an antenna. Only the local channels, like CBS, Fox, ABC, etc. And only if you are close enough to the broadcasting antenna to receive the channels.

You can see here what you can get with an antenna from your address - http://www.antennaweb.org/

Mind you that is not exact, and will depend a lot on what antenna type you have and where it is located. The best place to put it would be on your roof of your house.

It says for me, I could get up to 26 channels with 4 different antennas. It's too bad that I rarely watch anything on those channels though.

You can always call TW and complain and negotiate a lower price. I do that about once a year, usually saves me $20-30 a month. I pay $120 for my cable TV and Internet. And that is basically the highest Cable TV plan not including premium channels, and the Internet is the 3rd level from the bottom. You can get Internet as low as $15 a month and TV as low as $20 a month per their website. They have a Cable, Internet, and Phone package listed for $80 a month for basic, and $120 a month for the super high end one.

Vonage is about $25 a month for reference.

18. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

No...the TW app on the Roku is free. The app allows the Roku box to act as a cable box.

So, you turn on your TV and the Roku menu is displayed on the screen...to whatever "channels" you setup on it. For example, on mine it displays:

Hulu, NetFlix, TuneIn, NASA TV, TimeWarner, Crackle (movies), etc.

Using the Roku remote, you select the Time Warner icon and it logs into TimeWarner and the last channel you were watching starts playing, along with a program guide for all the TW channels you have (based on your TW subscription). At that point, you just select what programs you want to watch, just like using the standard TW cable box.

The only thing this setup doesn't provide is DVR capability, but you do get the TW OnDemand channels through the Roku app.

19. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

The app on the Roku must be different....?? I'm able to see all my TW subscription channels, including the HD's.

HBO GO will also run on the Roku.

20. jesse82nc

Ah you are right, It has most of the channels. You only see some of them though when you use the app when not on wifi, like on 4G.