cable modem & home phone

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thanks to all of you for the information. I am really going to look into some of this in January. I really appreciate all of you taking the time out to explain everything.

Sherry

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Sherry, we cut the cord (no cable) awhile back and have saved a lot. We have a flat antenna which picks up about 28 channels and a roku with a netflix and hulu plus subscription. Hulu plus plays a lot of the channels we don't get with next day air episodes. We've been really happy with it except don't get Walking Dead until it comes out on netflix which is usually about 9 months later :( The roku has a lot of channels and original programming that cable doesn't have so it's a balance. We have TW turbo so streaming to several things at a time is no problem for $44 a month.

Currently we are actually looking into getting a Tivo, hubby really hates commercials and misses the dvr really bad. I also read that Aereo may be coming to our area soon so we are trying to learn all we can about Tivo for over the air and Aereo. If anyone has experience with either I would really appreciate the input.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I've been checking prices out and such to see how I can lower my TWC bill

I looked at the modem that was suggested to me
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola.../dp/B004XC6GJ0
    but it doesn't have the phone jack and that I would have to get my own phone service.

I looked in to vonage and basically you get an instant rebate on the equipment.
    The introductory fee is 9.99 for the first three months then it goes up to 24.99 a month.
    Right now through TWC my phone is at 14.99 until April. It could stay at the same rate or go back to its normal 54.99. If it does go back up then vonage would be a solution. I don't use my home phone much anymore its pretty much to let politicans/charity and people selling Sh** hang up on it. The only other thing I need my home phone for is my mother is old school and calls my home phone instead of my cell.

I would do away with a home phone but I can not afford a smart phone right now.

The internet part is billed under earthlink high speed at 54.99. Though I do not use earthlink anymore. I could get a lower rate via TWC at 39.99 a month but then I would be paying the 5.00 a month for the cable modem.

PS what exactly is ROKU?

4. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

have you looked into walmarts basic talk? would be cheaper than 25, its 10 a month. cant your mom call your cell instead of you paying for a home phone? when the deal i have with twc with the phone is up i am going to do basic talk

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I thought basic talk was only cell phone

6. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Rocky, for phone, check out Ooma. You buy the machine, and then you just have to pay taxes each month. Her, it's around $4 per month. I bought mine on sale from Costco, but i haven't been home long enough to hook it up yet.

If you have a cordless phone w/ extra handsets that plug in electrical outlets, you can use those rather than having to buy Ooma handsets.

http://www.ooma.com/

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Basic Talk is home phone, Straight Talk is cell phone. Both from Walmart.

I have Straight Talk for my Cell, with an unlocked Nexus 5. It is $45 a month, unlimited everything (data, talk, text). Works great, except around here sometimes when I get barely a signal.

8. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Vonage has a US and Canada 400 minute a month plan for $12.99 I used vonage for nine years and never once exceeded my minutes. Since you only use it for your mom to call you, problem solved.

Another way to get around your mom being old school is to just have your current home phone number ported to your cell provider. Then your home number becomes your cell number. That's exactly what we did when we dropped vonage and we didn't miss a beat. What I really love about it is with the do not disturb feature on the cellphone I no longer receive calls from anyone that is not in my contacts. A great feature to eliminate the spam calls.

By going this way it eliminates the problem with the above modem.

Just in case, here's a whole long list of modems that will work on TWC http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-your-modem.html

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

So, anyone have any experience with Tivo for OTA? Trying to decide what do to to have a dvr for OTA to keep hubby happy without forking out major bucks to TWC.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Kaci. I am getting close to doing the same thing.

Sherry

11. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

No direct experience yet but I've been researching them. The only problem I've found so far is that you still have to subscribe to their $15 a month service. You can buy a new Tivo Premier on EBay for $55 from Best Buy. Record up to two shows at one time and if it's like the Directv DVR's, still be able to watch another recorded show.

12. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

If you want a DVR for OTA, there are other brands for that.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XIB9UA...9&creativeASIN=B004XIB9UA&tag=cnet_mp-3460-20