Mower Recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Jan 9, 2014.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Hi all, My Yard Tractor bit the dust last year, and I'm tired of replacing parts. I think with my tax return and the benefits of my unexpected raise, I will likely try to invest in a new Yard Tractor.

Here's what I'm looking for : At least 20 HP, the ability to Mulch, and at least a 46" cut

I've been looking at Ariens and Huskvarna lately, but want ya'll to chime in.
    I have a little over 3/4 of an acre, with slight slopes, and the ditch is able to be cut with a tractor (It won't tip)

Also, where to buy (your recommendations, cause I know of Lowe's, HD, Griffs, Clays, Sears...)

TIA

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Well personally if you have the time to browse and have half a clue what you're looking at Craigslist would be the ticket and save a good chunk of cash.
    I'd tend to go with a Kohler motor or a Briggs intek v motor.
    Also a hydro static tranny in my mind is a given.
    MTD makes quite a few of the brands of tractors w/ different qualities to each.
    Craftsman makes a good tractor. The YT or GT model.
    I would think with Griffs or Clays you'd pay a lil more for the product.
    Also the husqavarna you buy at the big box stores generally have a lighter duty deck than you would find at a husky dealer.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I have a Craftsman that I bought new in 2003 @ the Small Sears store in Fuquay Varina.

I read a lot back then and many were concerened about the Sears vs say a John Deere. I paid less that a JD, it has lasted 10 years, mulches good, cuts good. basic maintenance. No issues.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Bought this about 4 years ago and love it. I'm on a little over 2 acres, so I have a bit to mow, and mulch it all. It's about top of the line, but did what I wanted. Very fast mower as well.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/garden-tractors/gt52xls/

I got mine from Hudson's. - http://hudsonshardware.com/

The ones they sell at Lowe's and HD are "fake" ones. They get Husqvarna and John Deere to make a cheaper model and they only sell it through Lowe's or HD. I used to work at Lowe's for years and spoke to the JD rep a few times about it. That is why you can't find the models they sell in the stores on the manufacturers' website most of the time.

Also for a note, at least the last time I checked, Craftsman doesn't actually make mowers, they just rebrand other ones. Sometimes they tweak them a little as well. But it's just a Cub Cadet or something.

Not saying any one is bad, just giving some advice. I love my Kawasaki motor, they have been making small motors forever. But Kohler and B&S are good too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  5. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

The craftsman LT models are MTD, the YT and GT models are husqavarna

6. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

DH got a Husquvarna from Hudsons last year. We looked at Sears, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc and ended up at Hudson's. Best bang for the buck and I don't mind supporting a local business either. There was nothing available at the time to fit his criteria on CL. Since our 15 year old riding mower from Tractor Supply finally blew up hallway through mowing our yard, time was of the essence, LOL. That was an excellent mower, I hope this one lasts as long.

7. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

And they are all junk produced in Orangeburg, SC.. Husqvarna has a huge plant down there that the equipment is produced in just slapping different stickers on them... Cheap yes.. Quality .. Nope...

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I second craigslist, be sure to check Fayetteville. Military families tend to unload alot of stuff when being shipped elsewhere, so you could get a good deal on something newish.