Finally cut the cord

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Mar 25, 2013.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Omg, cut the cord with cable, hooked up the tv to an hd antennae, was completely shocked at the picture, had this tv hooked up thru twc and cl hd and have never had such a clear distinct picture. Now for all of you that have cut the cord, yeah you hught, what is the best internet carrier? I've got Roku, love it, with netflix, hulu, and amazon prime, got the ipad dock to stream, now i just need some type of dvr device. So what do y'all use or recommend?

2. Richardstech

Richardstech Member

Simple.tv

This is the best device out there. Can be paired with a rouku box to stream to a tv. With Netflix, vudu, and Hulu, you can have the best of on demand tv.

This is an antenna dvr. Use your own hard drive, connect to an antenna and you can record all your network shows, with no monthly fees. There is a service that can be bought.

Www.simple.tv

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I live in the sticks now. I don't believe it is a main carrier.

Sorry

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Well you know i live in the 4042 area, when it comes to technology we are pretty much in the sticks too :)

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I believe it is Star TV that provides our internet and our power comes from a Co-op. It keeps the single flashing yellow intersection light a glow. 8)

6. Melon

Melon Well-Known Member

We use CenturyLink's 10mps dsl, bundled with a landline. No problems with speed or hd resolution. 40mps is available somewhere else, but not in my area of 27520.

We cut DirecTV and stream TV & movies from netflix, hulu, and amazon prime through Roku. Over-the-air HD is good unless the weather is iffy.

Only goofiness is Crackle. Twice it got a few minutes into a program, then stopped. I suspect the problem is on the origin end, but since we don't watch it, we don't care.

We used to get our HGTV fix by running an HDMI cable from computer to TV.

edit: D'oh. Missed the question. Nope, no dvr.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I have an OTA antenna in my attic to go along with my DTV. OTA signals are in HD and the truest form of HD there is so that's why the picture is so nice.

Auxie likes this.
  8. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

We have bellsouth DSL for internet. We bought the Tivo box for DVRing. I was under the impression it is the only device available for DVRing HD quality thru an antennae but I could be wrong. Either way, it works great for us and I love that I now have a menu guide for programs like we used to have with cable/satellite. Bought the Tivo box at Best Buy for a one time $150-they had a $50 instant rebate at the time so we paid $100. The monthly service fee is $15 I think? We love it.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

I was checking out tivo, don't want to use simple since i have to supply the hard drive, there are so many different ones, which one do you have? Also guess i should have specified whet i live for the internet service, i am close to Chops. Have cl now for internet but so frustrating, only streams good if no other device such as computer or ipad are being used. Turn on any other device and tv freezes up, hubby is totally not happy with that :(

10. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Kaci, here's the model we have http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TiVo&#1...rder/4960737.p?id=1218588899822&skuId=4960737
    If the link doesn't work, it is model TCD746500 at Best Buy. All we use the tivo box for is recording. We stream thru our Wii for all the other stuff, plus we have a smart tv that allows us streaming capability.

We live off Cleveland between 42 and 50, just inside the Wake Co line-the neighbors two doors down are JoCo, while we are Wake. We've had Bellsouth DSL the entire 7 years we've lived here from a DirectTV bundle and have never had any problems. We can have something playing thru Netflix, be on a laptop and an iPad at the same time and have never had any problems with slowness. We both have iPhones for work as well that connect to our WiFi while we are in our home and emails are constantly coming thru with everything else going. I can't even tell you when we've ever had a time when our internet service "went down". No complaints here for Bellsouth DSL. It might not be the cheapest option, but for us, we need reliability and depend on it to do work from home and have movie/tv stuff:lol:

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Windows Media Center if you have a tv card in your computer will DVR

12. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Couple of questions

for people who have Hulu, netflix....etc.
    A.) are they commercial free?
    B.) can you pause it like you can with a DVR?
    C.) can you get the old old episodes of "this old house" with Bob Villa and "hometime" when they had Joann Liebeler.
    D.) is there a way to save them to a cd, external hard drive, thumb drive?

13. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

A. Netflix is commercial free, Hulu (which includes the paid Hulu Plus) does have commercials, but they are limited in that they will be at the point where normal commercial ads would appear during broadcast, but they tend to be a single commercial and run 15 to 30 seconds.

B. Yes, you can pause. Unlike a DVR, though, it won't continue after 60 seconds. It will stay paused until you specifically hit the resume button.

C. I have not seen "This Old House" or "Hometime" available on Hulu or Netflix, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. You can search for them (on Hulu) without having to pay/sign up.

D. Not legally.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks but i am trying to not use my computer on the tv, since i work from home i need to keep it free

15. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I checked my netflix, they do not have these available to stream.

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Can FINALLY say I'm a member of the *club* :hurray:

Cancelled DirectTV today = $80/mo SAVINGS. WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!

The only thing we *watched* were re-runs and movies that were FREE and DH's FOX news (every channel, 24x7 lol) :mrgreen:

17. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Quick read and I see: ROKU, hulu, rouku, Vudu, OAT, etc.
    Do all of you live in another world? Technology left me behind a long time ago! LOL

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I with ya'. Sounds Greek to me too.

Sherry

19. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

I have considered doing this for some time but would miss ESPN. I think all of that can be streamed through E360 now... Does anybody have experience with this?

Other issue for us is NFL Sunday ticket but realize I'm out of luck there...

20. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

ESPN is a free channel available on the Roku box. There are many, many sports channels available. Have a browse for yourself:
    http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/sports/by-popular