SNOW ...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

3. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

LOL, spent a good bit of time tearing up some parking lots myself back in the day, the rear wheel drive cars were the ticket to the fish tailing and killer doughnuts.. front wheel drives aren't as fun.. ya got to go in reverse to get good doughnuts out of those.

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I still drive a good old rear wheel drive pick up that is light enough to really go.

5. C me Now BMM

yup, that they are. A lil rusty now I'm sure but use to be able to put out some pretty clean figure 8"s and trace over them again without butchering them. lol

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Yes, and knowing how the vehicle handles doing it makes it much easier to drive on snow and ice and just how much to add or let off the gas to keep it going where you want it. Practice.

7. C me Now BMM

yup just by going out there messing around having fun certainly improves ones ability to drive in the snow if they pay a lil attention to what and how they're doing it. Yup one important factor to gaining a lil control is let off gas and downshift the tranny.. but of course with ice once you lose it all bets are off just ride it out and hope for the best. lol

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I got snow flakes @ Holt Lake in Smithfield!!!

EEEEKKKK!!!!! Time to call it a day. LOL

Ya'll be safe. :grouphug:

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

McGee's Crossroads too.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

You too sweetie. Nothing in Durham yet.

Sherry

11. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Got some snow flakes at JCC
    Even have some flakes inside JCC...oops :)

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

13. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Hey my daughter goes there, yep she's one of the flakes :jester:

14. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

at least a two caser

15. Rockyv58

I think I hear sleet on my windows

16. Rockyv58

I wrote to DOT yesterday

Date/Time: 2/11/2014 4:53:46 PM
    Comment:
    To whom it may concern,
    I have been living out in Johnston county at river oak drive, Clayton NC since May 2000. Every time we get snow or ice there are two spots on Polenta that have curves on it and sit in the shade. They stay icy for days after the storm has disapated. The road has never had brine on it. And now with the High school there, you would think you would at least brine the road.

Any chances of you guys going and brining Polenta road? Also Indian Camp does get a bit icy also cause of all the shade

Thank you

Robert * V*****

Sent By: Contact Us Administrator Date/Time: 2/12/2014 3:43:02 PM
    Comment:
    Dear Mr. V*****
    Thank you for your concern regarding Polenta Rd. The State has a systematic process for which we have to follow during extreme weather conditions. Interstate, and Primary roads receive our fullest attention. This is to allow accesibility to our commuters. Once that is done we then focus on our Secondary paved roads. We will take your concerns into consideration and future attention on these roads.

Thank you
    Jimmy Hawley

17. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Hey Jimmy, WHO do you know that LIVES on the interstate? We live on the secondary roads and sometimes tertiary. I understand the need to clear the primary roads, so everyone can get somewhere, but if you can't get out of your house, or even to the main roads, what's the point! IF it is a state or county maintained road, TAKE CARE OF IT! Heck, get some snowplows on your township trucks to help out. They can be removed when not in use. Same with the salt/sand spreaders...you can tow them if need be. We are not at war with the north, take some lessons from them and use your resources more wisely.

Hell, even the SCHOOLS up north have plows on their utility trucks.
    Jo Co schools could have attended (at least in the 40.42 area) till 11 AM like originally planned yesterday. And all day the first day they cancelled the last storm we had.

18. Rockyv58

You can contract him by emailing him from this page:

https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/contactus/PostComment.aspx?Unit=PIO

19. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

thanks he doesnt listen i called him last storm about the daily wreks on old fairground and my street covered in solid ice in two shady spots large enough to cause problems.

got the same repeated response. i told him my two cents tho.

20. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

In NJ at least, the state hires contractors for the large storms. Thousands of them. These are typically construction companies that have dump trucks and such, they attach plows to them for the storm and go out and plow the highways and side roads. The state pays them hourly, and someone from the state supervises them (I did this for years). They basically drive around behind the contractors in their personal car and keep notes on what roads were cleaned when. And then they check in the state DOT every so often.

Works well up there, and keeps the state's costs low unless there is a storm. Seems it would work here as well.