Paved over rumble strip on I-40?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Sep 9, 2013.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

There are a few projects on the drawing board to add a lane or two to I-40 from 40/40 though RTP. The last I saw construction was supposed to start around 2022.

I agree that they need to add at least 1 lane today from 40/42 all the way to the I-440 interchange at a minimum. If they want to add capacity for the next 2-5 years it should be 1 lane from 40/210 to 40/42, 2 lanes from 40/42 to I-440, and 1 lane on I-40 from I-440 to NC-147.

The two lanes from I-40 East at the I-440 split is horrible on Friday afternoons now, I can't imagine what it will be like in a the Summer of 2015 when the I-40 construction is in full swing and there are 10% more cars on the road.

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the project to widen I-40 from the Beltline to Exit 312. It doesn't indicate when they'll start construction, but land acquisition should be under way now.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the maps right, but it indicates I-40 between US 70 Business and NC 42 will be 48 feet on each side. The average lane is 12 feet, but I don't know if that includes padding between lanes. So, either 3 or 4 lanes in each direction.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

DH rode the bus today, he works downtown. He said it was great, only about 7 other people on it. Also traffic wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was on Mon - but he said they did drive the shoulder for some of the drive.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sounds like a 700% increase in use! :jester:

I am sure that if others have the experience your Husband had more will use the service once they learn about it.

5. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

So far, I've only seen regular folks using the shoulder! Yesterday morning when it was so backed up due to the wreck at the split, I saw at least 4 vehicles take the shoulder, and we were at least 2 miles from the next exit. Never saw a bus, and I was on 40 for over 45 minutes. Took me 1.25 hrs to get to work, and my normal commute is 35-40 minutes.

6. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

Where do you park to ride the bus into downtown? Just out at the end of the Walmart parking lot?

7. bandmom

He also rode it on Fri, he said the commute home was a lot quicker, being able to use the shoulders and passing sitting cars was nice!

8. bandmom

They meet over by the Garden center, should be a park and ride van parked at the pickup site.

9. bandmom

Wal-mart is not a community player.

My husband has been taking the CAT bus, the” Johnston County Express” (JCX) from Wal-mart to downtown since they started offering it in December to help with traffic during the Fortify project, and he likes it very much. He rides every day. He has just learned that Wal-mart is NOT going to allow the CAT system to continue to use their site as a stop.
    It seems to me that if Wal-mart supported the community like the community supports Wal-mart, this would not be a problem for them. So, I am urging everyone to call or email corporate Wal-mart and let them know what you think. Or, we can send this out to everyone we know and stop shopping there.

10. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

I find that hard to believe, considering that the Clayton Crossing shopping center is considered a "Park & Ride" site and is not owned by Walmart.

It's possible, of course, but you know how rumors are. How did your husband hear about the change?

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I know Walmart takes pride in their environmental responsibility (the only thing I respect them for), I would go in and ask them how this fits in with their green initiatives? Ask them if corperate is aware.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart very much owns the main parking lot. Just look it up in GIS.

They do NOT own the smaller parking lots in front of the two small strips of shop (mexican restaurant and dollar store).

13. Palisade

I know most Walmarts allow RVers to park overnight. It's an individual store manager decision, but most allow it.

Be that as it may, as I said the Cleveland Crossing (I think I said Clayton Crossing earlier) is not owned by Walmart and it is a "Park & Drive" location, as designated by the Raleigh CAT department so I don't think they have any say in it.

I could be wrong, of course, but it sounds more like some anti-Walmart rumor being spread.

I just called the Cleveland Crossing Walmart and the person I talked to said that Walmart had nothing to do with the bus service.

14. bandmom

Correct: Walmart does not have anything to do with the bus service, but they can decide who uses their parking lot.
    DH's office is across the hall from the bus dept, and they told him yesterday that this decision was coming from Corp Walmart.

15. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Pay attention. Look it up or someone is going to do it for you and make you look foolish.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/gis2/?CFID=7538482&CFTOKEN=22277047

The entire parcel is owned by:

Tag06E02017TNCPin163700-26-7447Mapsheet No1637Owner Name1WALMART REAL ESTATE BUSINESSOwner Name2TRUSTMail Address1C/O WALMART STORES EAST LPMail Address2P O BOX 8050-MS 0555Mail Address3BENTONVILLE AR 72716-0555Site Address15141 NC 42 HWY WSite Address2GARNER NC 27529-Book03500Page0724Market Value15604840Assessed Acreage40.89Calc Acreage40.63Sale Price2607500Sale Date2008-02-26

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  16. Palisade

Do you spend your days looking for mistakes I make? You really need a life.

17. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

No, but when you admonish someone for posting what sounds like an 'anti-WalMart rumor' and YOU don't take the time to look something as simple as this up, then someone needs to correct it.

Additionally, when you ignore my first post and double-down on your wrong-ness I find it doubly dutiful to make sure the rest of the people here do not follow your nonsense.

The park and ride thing is a good alternative. WalMart has the space and if they agreed to it at first they should probably follow through. I cannot think this wouldn't be good for business to have a few extra cars parked there so when people get off the bus they can walk in and get their bread and milk.

18. Palisade

All of that and you missed my post wherein I noted that I called them and confirmed this rumor not to be true.

19. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Saying Walmart had nothing to do with the bus service is far different from the bus service using their parking lot as a park and ride location. Also it was noted the information was coming from Walmart corporate which may or may not have communicated with the local store.

20. Palisade

Where was it posted that this came from Walmart corporate?

It just goes to prove, when it comes to Walmart bashing, you can't let facts get in the way of a good rumor.