SNOW ...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Some of the Construction companies that my husband has worked for in the past around here do the same.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. I posted this about two weeks ago:

And this was the response I got:

With the growth in Johnston county, they don't seam to have updated their snow removal plan. IMHO

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Some of you people think that this stuff just happens. Someone has to pay for it whether they own the equipment or contract it out. There isnt a magic bucket of money sitting somewhere.

Using your logic, they should build tornado shelters throughout New Jersey, just like they have in Kansas, because there might be a tornado there every few years.

4. Rockyv58

You don't know me, my life experiences or my logic. So if you do not have any thing constructive to say, go over to the corner and sit down

[​IMG]

And just to lighten things up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrbHUJxAtgw

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Actually I thought I was being constructive by defending the state where we live. Having been here 30 years, I can assure you that they do a MUCH better job today than in the past.

And for what it's worth Rocky, I have sided with you and defended you on here several times over the years. But I disagree with you that they should be able to clear the roads here as good as they do up north.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

In NJ, a lot of companies own their own plows as well. And then under a contract from the state, they get paid only when there is a storm to clear snow. The state doesn't foot any bill unless it snows. So in an area like down here where it snows rarely, that actually makes more sense. The tax payers don't have to foot any extra bill unless it snows, then those private companies get the tax dollars which pays for their plows and time. The use existing trucks they already have. Think about it, in weather like this, construction companies can't do anything. The workers don't get paid, and all the equipment sits idle. If they attached a plow to their dump truck, they could make big bucks clearing roads. Win-Win

8. Rockyv58

:iagree::iagree:

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree:

10. jesse82nc

In fact here's a photo of the private crews clearing the highways in NJ today: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153818525075389

11. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

This isn't quite as feasible as ya'll may think considering just how many bad winter storms we actually get... the equip cost to set up dump trucks isn't cheap and there's time and effort each year to update sub contractor contacts and to insure all insurances are up to date and adequate enough to hire them..
    you make ok money plowing but I wouldn't say they make big bucks, there is fuel (expensive), labor, and equip wear and tear which gets up there and any insurance claims due to stuff getting tore up which in turns increases one insurance rates.. now if we were to get three or more big events every year than maybe this is a grand idea, otherwise quit complaining and deal with it..

12. C me Now BMM

LOL..

13. jesse82nc

Considering I was a plow supervisor for the DOT for 4 winters, I can tell you first hand that I was making roughly $35 an hour for the first 8 hours, then time and half beyond that. Some storms I was on the road for 20-30 hours straight (now that is a big check!).

I regularly talked to the plow drivers, and in NJ they actually pocketed on average about $18-22 an hour while plowing. That could easily be a few hundred dollars for a days work. I don't know about you, but if I was a construction worker that couldn't build something outside due to weather, I would be jumping at pay like that.

14. C me Now BMM

well good for you

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I can't agree or disagree whether using contractors would be a better plan.

I just dont want to kick those guys while they are down. They have been working their tails off and for the most part had the main roads clear by the next morning. That is unheard of around here. Credit where credit is due.

16. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(I wanted to post this yesterday but did not have Internet)

17. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

:cheers:

Our road got cleared sooner than it EVER has in the past. I swear some folks won't be satisfied til they can somehow build self scraping roads.

Grow up. If you don't like the way they handle the weather here, then don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. They are doing the best they can!

Better yet, all you arm chair mayors and public officials, run for office, get elected and fix it or stop flapping your gums. :nopity:

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Don't forget, they plow 95 up north right away so folks should have no problem getting there. :)

Start the countdown!! Thunder and lightening last night.

19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yep, I heard thunder too. Another round soon.

Sherry

20. Rockyv58

Is there any truth to this
    In winter, it will snow one week after thunder.