empty envelope

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Came home to find an empty envelope hanger on my door. No markings what so ever on it and nothing in it. Anyone have a clue to who put it there? And has anyone one else gotten one of those?

2. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

Possibly marking your house for a future break in I have heard of numbers over your door as a good hit reference for later down the road. Urban myth?? not too sure. Be careful it could be a sign...

3. Rockyv58

paranoid enough

That was my first thought. LOL

4. Rockyv58

I had posted the same question to Facebook and a buddy of mine who use to work the 911 center in Raleigh posted this:

Let PD know. It is a trick used by crooks casing the area. Makes them look like they have a reason to be there.

What's weird though is I saw two guys I did not know on my neighbors porch last Sunday when no one was around.

5. Rockyv58

I checked with all my neighbors and no one else got an empty white envelope with no markings on it.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Poor Man Security.

4 Fake Security Cameras w/LED = $30
    8 AA Rechargeable Battery kit = $12
    Printable stickers : $3
    'No Soliciting' driveway sign : $3

Print the stickers with a well know security company name. Obscure the spelling if you don't like copyright infringement. Stick them on any visible entry.

If the camera you buy has anything printed on it, remove the label or cover it. Mount them in view but above or out of visible inspection reach.

Under $50 bucks / 2 Hours - a half way decent deterrent.

7. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Cheaper security

Draw outline of human body with chalk on driveway.

Dilute red paint 3:1 and slowly pour into the area that would be the chest if the body were still there and allow to dry.

Seal chalk and red paint with clear coating.

Attach "No Tresspassing" sing to post that will have sign at about 4-1/2 feet when installed.

Shoot hole into back of sign with appropriate firearm remembering some of the sign should remain

Place "No Trespassing" sign beside drieway near outline.

Watch everyone give property wide berth.

8. Rockyv58

I like that idea I wonder if I can get the fake cameras at Lowes. I actually do have ADT's stickers on my home. Had ADT for about a year once I moved in but havent had them for a bit. I actually moved over the yard sign by mistake once.

I have a buddy who had to live in one of those weekly rental hotels for a while and had a camera set up and caught a made stealing from them.

A couple of people on facebook told me it might also be the mortgage company.

9. Rockyv58

:jester:

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...&_nkw=fake+security+camera&_sacat=0&_from=R40