Has science trumped the Bible....again?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tukasiya, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Don't forget the post to which that replied. :oops:

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:hurray: :hurray:

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I second that.

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I'll Pi (3) that! :lol::lol:

Extremism is growing in all aspects of our society. Not falling prey to the cults that spread it doesn't require an astute knowledge of science or religion. The "with us or against us" mentality will always be present.

Taking the initiative to be an individual of good character and morals is all the divine guidance you need.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/is-carbon-dating-accurate-faq.htm

6. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen :cheers:

I remember when I was in school, we were studying evolution, and I asked my mother point blank, "If the bible says the world was created in 7 days.......how come my science teacher says it took millennia?" She said "maybe God's days are longer than man's days" Worked for me!

I mean seriously folks, we don't stone people for adultery or chop off their hands for theft or poke out people's eyes with sticks now.

Use the brain God gave you!

7. Wayne Stollings

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

...or the one that evolved!

9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

On God's side, Kurt Vonnegut makes you think in the 'Cat's Cradle'.

:)And Douglas Adams wrote in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
    Somewhere in between is the truth. In my book it says, "In the short time we get to spend here, the creation/evolution question doesn't merit wasting time in seeking the answer.":idea:

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

In the beginning there was nothing. And God said, "Let there be light". And there was still nothing. But you could see it.

11. Wayne Stollings

Who said everything had to be made? If that was the case one would ask where did the "who" originate that is required for something to be made? It would seem that no matter what, something had to just become.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:jester:

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Ah, that's the beauty of being agnostic. It is not within us (man) to fully understand this as it is so vast and complex an issue. I have no problem with the belief that some sort of cosmic engineering took place (divine hand, ultra intelligent life), but it could just as easily be simply gases, heat, dust and mere coincidence over trillions of years. And before you ask where did the gas, heat and dust come from...I will ask you, "why couldn't it have always just been there?".

Don't take my stance on religion so literal. I am all for personal beliefs, however I draw the line on those beliefs being institutionally pushed on others.

14. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

+1

If God made everything who/what made God?

Science can be proven and the universe continues to be explored (little by little and increasing as man-kinds technology evolves), but the eword of god is just that, a word.

15. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

He always existed.

If the Universe came from a singularity, where did the singularity come from?

16. Wayne Stollings

Which makes for an interesting hypocritical position given the following question.

Why can't it have always existed?

17. Palisade

The second question was a corollary to Harvey's question. Anti-creationists love to ask who created God but have no problem accepting that the Universe has always existed.

18. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I really hate having to quote myself, but since you don't seem to read many of these threads before commenting:

19. Palisade

Yes, you have no problem with "gas, heat and dust" having "always just been there". But you cannot accept the possibility that God has always been there.

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yes, because I do not believe in the construct that God is some guy floating out in nothingness creating things and pulling strings as popularly described. I am much more comfortable with the prospect of chemistry, physics, time and geology having come together to create life, but do not rule out some sort of intelligent engineering along the way.