Offest (reduced) Tax-refund?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Feb 17, 2014.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Did anyone's Taxrefund ever get offset (reduced) due to a prior obligation and if so what was it for? It says that this can happen due to the following reasons:past-due child support;
    Federal agency non-tax debts;
    State income tax obligations; or
    Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state
    None of those apply to us though. Tried to call the appropriate agency but they are closed due to the holiday.
    I read on their website that:"Before a creditor agency refers a debt to the Treasury Offset Program, it will have provided the debtor with all due process notices concerning the debt. These notices include: written notification of the nature and amount of the debt, the intention of the agency to collect the debt through administrative offset, and an explanation of the debtor's rights (inspection, copying, review and repayment opportunities). The creditor agency has therefore informed the delinquent debtor of the potential referral of the debt to the Treasury Offset Program. Once in the Treasury Offset Program, the debtor will be informed by Treasury when an offset is taken." We never received anything in the mail.:?

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sorry I cannot help, but I once had to prove to the IRS that I was not my father. They tried to garnish my wages. 8)

3. AnnetteL

Thanks Hught! Sounds like quite the mix up! :ack:

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

This happened to me once. I didn't get back the refund I was expecting from the State and when I investigated it was due to an ambulance ride to the hospital. It took me a while to get all of the information, due to each place telling me to contact another place. Took me a while to get my insurance carrier to pay the ambulance place and in turn the ambulance place to refund my money.

Pain in the fanny.

Sherry

5. AnnetteL

Thanks Sherry! No ambulance rides here though,or hospitals etc. Someone else asked me if it could be related to Identity Theft!?

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If it were related to ID theft, it could be connected to an ambulance ride or hospital visit ... just for someone else.

7. AnnetteL

Just checked both our credit reports but there's nothing suspicious on there.

8. AnnetteL

Just found out that the previous debt was collected by the Social Security Administration,I'm on hold with them right now,estimated hold time 40 minutes it was a debt from my husband but until I talk to the SSA I will not know what it was for.With my luck after waiting for 40 minutes they will not tell me anyways!

9. AnnetteL

Finally found out WHY our tax refund will be offset/reduced this year,it's because of a survivor benefit payment back in 1978!!!!!!!!!!!! When he was still considered a minor,they can't tell to who the check was sent to since their "records don't go back that far" but somehow they do know that the money is owed. Even though he never saw the money or signed any checks :evil:

10. Sherry A.

Hum. I sure would want something in writing and make sure it states that this is now paid in full.

Sherry

11. AnnetteL

She did assure him on the phone that it was but still...

12. Sherry A.

:mrgreen:

Sherry