An adult child's responsibility

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Just found out a sad note. My neighbor had passed away back in December 2012. I had thought his daughter and son was holding to his house. The sad thing is his kids have nothing to do with the house. The house was foreclosed on and all of their personal items were left in the house. I got talking to the men cleaning up the yard. All the personal possessions were going to be thrown out. Right now I have his wife's ashes and their photos. I even have their marriage certificate. I can not believe his own children wouldn't even gather up those possessions and take them.

2. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Often times one doesn't know what goes on behind closed doors

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

That is very sad!!
    I think I know which house you're talking about,in South Plantation?We had looked at it last weekend since my father in law was interested in buying it,I noticed then that there seemed to be a lot of personal items still in the house,and we drove by today while some people seemed to be cleaning,I asked them if it was sold and they said yes.Is it the one with the wide wooden walk leading up to the front door?

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

yes it is. my yard is the one that is overgrown, cause my mower is still dead. I stopped by to ask them to give me a quote to help me get my yard presentable again.

I had met his daughter, son in law and kids years ago for christmas. Even if they no longer talk there are a bunch of pictures of them and their kids. Even if they only wanted them and threw everything else out

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

There is another house that I wonder what is going on. It is on NC 50 where 1010 dead ends into it. Across from BP station. (this is between NC42 & Garner). I used to see an older lady doing things in the yard, but there has been no sign of activity for 2-3 years. But everything still looks to be in place.

6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

markfnc, there actually has been activity there in the past week. They put "no trespassing" signs up, at least one of the old cars disappeared, I think, and I believe I remember a dumpster now there. I noticed a lot of the "trinkets" on the porch are gone. I assume the old lady passed away and the family is cleaning up the property. That will be some valuable property with NC-540 coming through before too long.

7. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

and there are/were a bunch of "trinkets" for sure. I did notice the older (1960's) chevy was gone leaving the 1990's chevy still there.

8. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

The lady that lived there died in June of last year. I remember her from the Garner Senior Center, she used to play bingo.

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I always wondered if the person that lived there was a hoarder.

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Yes, she was, I know her family. I didn't realize that she'd died though. :cry:

11. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Awe that home was like a staple in Garner, it was the same for as long as I remember!
    Sorry to hear about your neighbor in South Plantation but you would be surprised at the sad estate situations I see :( I have to constantly remind myself there is always 2 sides to every story.
    Good looking out for the ashes/photos etc. There may be a grandchild one day that greatly appreciates it.

12. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

If there was an insurance policy or money left in the estate, that may be all the family is worried about. Money can bring out the ugly, greedy side of people in ways you would never imagine.

My step-father died two years ago; he never adopted me but we had a much closer relationship than he had with his other 3 birth children. We especially had grown closer since my Mom had passed a few years before. He wanted me to come down and take him to a lawyer so I could be put in charge of his estate. Of course, I put it off...and soon it was too late. In the end, his other children split quite a large amount from his estate, the oldest daughter kept his truck, the son got his guns, which he has sold. The only funds I received from his estate were from reimbursement of funeral expenses that my husband and I paid for.

But you know what...I am the one who got the pictures from the house, his birth certificate, momentos to remember him by, and of course my Mom's china and crystal, etc. I had my Daddy's love and his trust and I was left with so much more than the other three could ever dream of having!

13. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

And, you have a halo waiting for you in heaven. Your time, trust, and love is what it is all about.