Tutoring/EOG help

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Apr 22, 2014.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I really need to get some extra help with at least one of my children, possibly two of them. The main problem is with my 5th grader; he had a "D" in math, has gotten extra help at school and now has an "F". I don't even know if making at least a 3 on the EOG will help, but he was already been held back in 3rd grade for the same thing. We are in Benson, but only private tutors that I know of around here. We are thinking of Sylvan, in hopes of not only helping with the math, but teaching him to work independently. He had been tested at the Garner (Timber Dr.) location a couple of years ago, but we did not enroll him at that time. I think the Clayton location would be closer for us...anyone have any suggestions/input/experience?

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Understand you are looking for tutoring help but want to add something. If he has already been held back in third grade, they will waive him through as they are only allowed to retain once in elementary, once in middle and once in high school. I have heard Slyvan is good but very pricey. We looked at it YEARS ago and it was $275! I'm sure even more now. My friend was looking for a tutor for her 8th grader just this past week. My other friend who is a tutor and a teacher, said all the tutors in that age category she knows are booked. Hope it all works out.

Stephanie-- mom to 11

3. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Check your private messages :~)

4. tmtnus

tmtnus Member

Club-z In Home Tutoring call Martha Stoval at 919-585-5044. Have used them for my daughter and was a GREAT!!! experience and affordable.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Sylvan was a miracle worker for my daughter on both math and reading.

Sherry

6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I also used Sylvan for my son for math, and they were a lifesaver. It was expensive, but they had a game plan for success, and he enjoyed it. It was worth every penny.

7. mvenito@nc.rr.com

mvenito@nc.rr.com Well-Known Member

another sylvan lover here too. My oldest son went for math and it changed everything for him. Now, my dd is going to for it. Well worth every penny.

8. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

Sylvan is a scam. Club-Z is good.

9. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the replies; for those who used Sylvan, did you go to the Clayton or Garner (Timber Dr.) location?

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We used the one in Clayton, but that was many years ago. My daughter has always been excellent in math, but at the time hated to read. I did both math and reading so that she could enjoy going. Since going to Sylvan she is an avid reader. She reads about two books a week now and enjoys every minute. She is still excellent in math as well. Just so you know, my daughter graduates from college this year as an honor student and will be going to graduate school. She states that Sylvan turned her academic life around.

It was expensive for this single mom, but as I look back on it.....worth every single dime.

Good luck,
    Sherry

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is a certified teacher (k-12) and works in JCS who does tutoring. Let me know if you would like some info. :)

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I took my son to the one in Garner but that was a long time ago, and it wasn't at the Timber Rd location.

13. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member