New building at Cle School and Shilo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Chico Malo, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Chico Malo

Chico Malo Member

Between the new thrift shop and self storage place there is a small building with a covered porch on the back. Any idea what this will be?

2. lucky*p

lucky*p Member

I spoke to the lady at the Thrift Store and it will be her dad's car lot. She said everyone had been asking and they thought it was an ice cream or hot dog place...

3. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

Car lot was my guess... Nothing like keeping it classy..

Hitch

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they made the thrift store so fancy. It is after all, just a thrift store. Somebody pulled out some money.

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

...for a thrift store no less. Really not sure what the business plan looked like to buy land there, build what looks like a $80,000 building (at least), and then sell used items.

6. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We had heard that the family owned the land and several acres surrounding the area and that this was something of a past time for one of the family members.

7. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Well it is a shame neither will be true for this locale. For those that haven't been to Main street in Clayton in a while (like us) you will be very pleased with a new addition Country Folks Creamery, across from Jones Lunch. They had a soft opening yesterday. The place even unfinished is adorable and the couple of flavors available were really good. It was a great finish for lunch at Primos. They weren't sure when they would have a grand opening, but it shouldn't be that far off.

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Hope they will not try to recoup their costs with their prices....

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be ugly but do we really need another used car dealer in the area? We already have 4 used car lots on Cleveland School Road and 4 on Rte 42.
    I'm just asking

10. Chico Malo

Chico Malo Member

How about something nice

This area needs something other than gas station and car lots. I did go to the produce stand yesterday. They have a limited selection but hey, it's early. What they had was nice stuff.

11. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Too late for that....

I was not impressed.

12. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Agreed

13. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I stopped by during the soft opening to give it a shot. It was very good ice cream but yes it was on the expensive side. It's homemade on site and really creamy and flavorful, but at $4 for a small cup it's one of those 'once in a blue moon' type of things.

I do my best to support local biz, but sometimes it's just out of reach.

14. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Say what?

15. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I think Judge was referring to the ice cream place that was mentioned on Main Street, not the place on CSR.

16. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

Who is approving these businesses to open? Where is zoning in this? Why do we need so many used car lots in the area? Most of them look like something that belongs on S. Wilmington St. in Raleigh. How about a restaurant, dry cleaners, a gym, etc.? Talk about clueless.

17. Cleopatra

The county approves them. There is no zoning really. THIS is why folks have tried to incorporate. Until then, it will be more of the same.

The area is unrecognizeable compared to 2001 when I bought a home off of McLemore. I moved to the other side of 42 in 2009 and never looked back. :)

Of course, in a few years it will be probably be time to move again ;)

18. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Hey we dont have used car lots :jester:

Hopefully this side handles growth a little better, we will see with time!

19. Cleopatra

I have a feeling it will, with Archer Lodge being a town now and Queen Becky monitoring her empire. In five years I have seen a few subdivisions come in and a Harris Teeter. I'm fine with that. They have a decent beer selection. ;)

20. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

If you notice on 42e, all the way from 70 to 39 there is not one used car lot.
    But on 42w from 70 to 50 there are 4 used car lots. 5 if you want to count the one right on Cornwallis road 70± feet from 42.

I know I went to the meeting they had about getting a post office and was and still am interested in incorporating our area so we can take charge of our own destiny. Before Clayton or Smithfield try to incorporate us into their town.