Vet Advice

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by All Children First, Apr 18, 2014.

1. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

One of our dogs has scratched her eye and it is swollen shut and oozing. I've tried to gently wash it out, but we need to take her to a vet.

Due to our son's hospital bills, we cannot afford a huge vet bill. What vet would be the most affordable?

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I've had good experience with Carolina Ranch on 42, just East of Cleveland Draft House.

I don't know that they are the cheapest, but they are not super expensive and do great work. I have been taking all 3 of my dogs there for the Vet and Boarding for the last 2 years.

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I've heard that Stage Rd Vet is very affordable. A friend of mine takes several of her critters there... 919-639-3337 She swears by them!

4. shawk22

shawk22 Well-Known Member

+1 for Stage Rd. Animal Hospital. I'd take myself there if they were able to treat humans!

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Stage Road Vets are great!!!

6. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

another st rd fan here!

7. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Dr Beam

I use Clayton Animal Hospital. I love Dr Beam. She is so good with my two Tri paws. Even my dogs like going to the vet.

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Clayton Animal Hospital is awesome. http://www.claytonanimalhospital.com/

I think most vets would work out a payment plan if a person cannot afford the total bill at the time of service.

Sherry

10. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

Actually there are very few vets that would be willing to do payment plans, especially for clients that are not well established with the practice. They can't take the chance if losing that payment :(

11. Sherry A.

Hum, I must have always been well established when I needed a payment plan. Sorry to hear that.

Sherry

12. Rockyv58

Sorry to hear that. When I lived in Newark (pronounced New-Ark) Delaware my vet use to take payments and they also give a multi-pet discount.

And I actually make payments to Clayton Animal Hospital. When I lost my job and started going back to school I needed a way to be able to make sure I got my vet bills paid. They set it up so I make payments for services not rendered yet. So by the time I need to go take my guys to the vet I don't have to shell out any money.

13. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

My husbands best friends live in Newark...we actually met in a bar by the college. Deer something, I think!

14. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

deer in the headlights?

15. Rockyv58

It's called the Deer Park Tavern. I know it well. I lived a few blocks from it and would hang there. George Thorogood drinks there from time to time, or at least he use to. And if you recall the decor of the place had a lot of Edgar Allan Poe-ish style stuff, it's because when Poe would teach at the U of D he would go there for drinks.
    Newark is only 57.3 miles from Baltimore.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.683152,-75.755974,17z

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty good idea, as long as you trust that vet will be in business for a while.

I think alot of vets work with one a lending company that will extend you credit for services bases on your credit history, and you would make payments to that company, not the vet itself.

17. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

I called Stage Rd., but they were closed so we ended up going to Clayton Animal Hospital. They were wonderful. Probably the first vet we've ever had that understood we love our dogs, but we also have a very tight budget and cannot afford huge expenses. Our beagle is healing, and we're staying with CAH for the duration.

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Dollar to dollar, I've heard Stage Rd is cheaper. People on here have had really good reviews from their service. I've never been there, so I can't compare. I've been going to CAH for a long time (12? 14 years?), and I love everyone there. I honestly don't have a favorite vet in the practice... I like them all. They've seen me (my pets, at least!) through multiple injuries, cancer, intestinal disease, blood disorders, UTIs, an enlarged heart, bad hips, kidney disease, food allergies, and the loss of two of my babies. I TRUST everyone there. They also know that with everything I've gone through with my fur-kids, I want to know what my options are. I want to have the final word on treatments.

I'm glad your beagle is healing, and that you've found a vet you like!

19. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

For payment options, call Care Credit. Fill out an application online and see what you qualify for. They work for Health care as well as several vets...check with the vet to see if they take Care Credit before going there.
    It's basically a credit card, but not. You get so many months with 0% interest depending on your credit line. I used it to get my lasik surgery, as well as my daughter's bunny vet bill.

So I can testify that it does work.

carecredit.org I believe is the website.

20. Sherry A.

Glad you liked them. We have been with them for over 15 years and they work with us on bills. We don't go through any lending facility, Clayton Animal Hospital understands people's financial needs. Glad everything worked out.

Sherry