Strawberries

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Luvgoose1, May 5, 2014.

1. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone picked strawberries yet this season from around the Clayton area? My usual spot was open over the weekend but is now closed until Wednesday to allow more berries to ripen. Not keen on traveling far (Benson, Fuquay) and I have a container of Cool Whip screaming for some fresh berries to join it. Any other local places that have good berries? I thought there used to be another big one in the area.

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Beasley's Berries?

3. Luvgoose1

Yes..I went by there this morning and they had a sign up saying they were closed until Wednesday. Smart move in my opinion vs. letting people pick strawberries that were not ready. Since I pick and eat them all season, I know I'll be back there but in the meantime....

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Is it Porters up on 42 that has the big strawberry at the road and the ice cream stand? Are they open yet for strawberry picking?

5. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

We got some from Smith's last week. Not ripe enough. Maybe another week!

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

yes, they are open

7. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Yes they are.

8. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

We have purchased strawberries this year from Smith's, Porters and Beasleys. Beasleys are the best this year by a wide margain. No so in previous years.

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Stopped at Porter's on Sunday - berries were not sweet, very dissapointing!!

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

We've always gone to Smith's and been very pleased. This year we tried Porters and were disappointed. We planned on getting a whole bucket, but ended up with just 1/2 buckets because they all looked horrible, either too green, or tiny, or just non-existent.

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Those ones I bought (pre-picked) had great color and were good size, some were huge! But just didn't have good flavor.

12. Luvgoose1

I ended up waiting for Beasley's to ripen and picked some there. They were not sweet at all. This winter was very hard on the plants and they said they lost many of them. I think this is the trend in the area and the weather is to blame for them not being sweet. We ate about half of what I picked and then ended up throwing out the rest.

13. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I've tried several area farms and they are all very tart. I learned a little trick with them this year, since I had issues with them molding in the frig after a few days. Mix white vinegar 1 part, to 3 parts water. Add the berries and gently wash for a minute. Remove from water, put on dry towel and dry them off. Put in frig. Mine stayed fresh for over a week.

14. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I bought a bucket from Beasleys the other day and they were really good. I don't have the patience to pick them myself!