Hummingbirds are back!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

hummingbirds

I put my feeder up yesterday and have my first guest this AM! Beautiful ruby throated!

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Very cool!!! So excited that they're back in our area!

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Got mine up yesterday, finally! Waiting for them to show up.

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

My feeders have been up for a month! And my little friends are no where to be found yet! I'm getting antsy!

5. bridgett

bridgett Well-Known Member

Try hanging a brightly-color scarf close to the feeder. That worked for me.

6. JenniferK

Hmm, never heard that one! I hung a really pretty flowering basket close to it hoping that would do it, I'll try the scarf! Thanks!

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Working outside the other day, I counted at least five different h'birds at one of my feeders (could tell by diferent markings) throughout the morning. So thrilled! The ironic thing is, they all swarm to my smallest, cheapest feeder (I got it for free, but it couldn't have cost more than 50 cents). I can only imagine it's because I have to refill it every other day, so the nectar is the freshest. I've tried filling the others just as often, but the hummers just ignore them for the most part. Going to try and move the other two feeders to other locations to see if they'll be "discovered". So far, I haven't had a lot of fighting over the smallest feeder - they've been pretty good at taking turns.

That's my hummingbird report! 8)

8. JenniferK

Well I have no idea what I've done to make them mad, but mine havent shown up yet. So this weekend, I moved my regular bird feeders completely away from the tree they nested in last year, cleaned out both feeders, re-hung them, and planted some butterfly bush and lantana.....if that doesn't intice them, I don't know what else to do, lol...

9. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

My Hummingbirds have disappeared. Do you think they got fed up with the cold weather and went farther South?

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Mine have been absent for the past week or so, also. Awaiting their return.

11. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

My hummingbirds have disappeared! We only had 2 come back this year, and they have been nowhere to be found in the last 2 weeks. I've been changing the food twice a week, just in case.

Are the rest of yours still visiting?

12. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Ours are still here.

13. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Mine disappeared for awhile, but I kept refreshing the food and eventually some come back (or new ones appeared). Hang in there! I get two or three different ones that check in throughout the day.

14. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Thanks! I miss the little critters. We had one last year that was especially "chatty." She would sip, then sit back and chirp, then sip, then chirp and on and on. So cute.

15. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Ha! I had one like that too .. she'd "talk" to me. I loved the soft little chirp!! None of the ones I've had yet this year have been that friendly .. they don't hang around for long, just fly up - take a sip - then fly off.

16. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

17. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

18. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

half a dozen hummingbirds chasing each other around my front yard and backyard feeders!

19. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We have 4 feeders out, we find that the numbers fluctuate especially when there's tobacco in the fields and with the rain. We keep cleaning and changing the feeders every 2-3 days and they stay up until Halloween.

20. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I still have one sticking around, the rest have all moved on for the season!