Anyone interested in playing cards?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MizSeeker, May 17, 2014.

1. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

My normal card buddies have moved away and I'm looking to find a card playing group or people interested in coming together to play cards - or backgammon, scrabble - I'm open. I'm in Johnson's Pond off of Cornwallis but have explored having a group thing open at some locations that might not mind some card players coming in and using a table in the afternoons or during the weeknights? (think Brewery or Coffee Mill - go in - order - pass some time - order some more ...)

Any interest?

Martha

2. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

A friend of ours plays scrabble on Monday evenings in Smithfield at the McDonalds on 70. They used to meet in Smithfield but the bakery/coffee shop closed. If you need more information PM me and I'll find out for you.
    I wish we had time to play cards.

3. MizSeeker

That could work - I'd be interested once I get my car ::coughcough:: behaving. Sending you a PM.

I'm not looking for the type of situation like my mother had where the ladies came together 1-2 times a week all afternoon. I am in school full time and trying to work as close to full time as I can get. Looking to not becoming a total recluse.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What kind of card games? I haven't played poker in over 3 decades and I am terrible at it. I do enjoy playing gin rummy both 7 and 10 card, but again I have not played in a while.

5. MizSeeker

Yeahhh the only poker I'm good at is the online kind and even then .... with most card games, I need the cheat sheet.

I use to play rummy, gin rummy - whatever rules are which - spades, back alley spades, ... for that matter, uno, phase 10, war, go fish, etc.

I'm open and not adverse to learning something new. I know my sister plays bridge but I never learned.

Martha

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

My perfect choice for someone to join a poker game .... a donor. :mrgreen: :jester:

(I bought my first waterbed with winnings from a $.25 a card game I played at lunch when I was in school)

7. MizSeeker

Maybe penny poker? not into money games.

My son played poker like that when in college - probably why I never got got into poker. He had already ruined Monopoly for us when he was younger.

8. Wayne Stollings

My wife convinced me to not play competitive games with friends and family years ago. She says I do not realize how competitive I am and that it takes the fun out of it for them. Cards Against Humanity, for example, is a hoot and not that competitive, but it can be a bit over the top for some at times.

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

You rubbing people the wrong way.. I just don't see it, you're such a humble,sensitive and kind person.

10. Wayne Stollings

I know, that is why it was so hard to believe that I was too competitive (Unless maybe if you talked to the three main competitors I had when I first went into business). :mrgreen:

11. MizSeeker

So I HAD to go look up Cards Against Humanity - I could see it getting ugly ...

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

CAH is the bomb to play with friends and a few adult beverages! We have the core set and 4 expansion packs. Not something I would invite my mother to play.

:cheers:

13. MizSeeker

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Looks like I'll be placing an order ....

14. MizSeeker

So maybe CAH isn't the game for a public place (depending on the place) but for just plain ole cards cards - what would you be interested in and where do you think would be a good place to meet? Or when? Coffee Mill? Waffle House? Weeknights or weekend afternoons?

Suggestions? Thank you!

Martha