EOG's - Waiver Board

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Jun 4, 2014.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Just curious...how many people have gone to the waiver board and actually come out with a positive result of having your child pass their grade?

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Five years ago my son did in 3rd grade. But a lot of things have changed since then. I will say this: If your child was passing the class all year, there shouldn't be much of a problem. If however, the child was failing the class all year and then failed the EOG, that's a different story!

Good luck! I know how hard it is to sit and wait and wonder. One of my children is not a great student and we are always on pins and needles at this time wondering what's going to happen...

3. mgzd

mgzd Well-Known Member

I need this EOG thing explained to me. Here's our situation:

My son got primarily A's, B's, and C's all this school year.

Now I'm told he failed EOG's and very possibly may have to be held back.

My son said his teacher announced it in class today that she can pass him if she wants to.

We have to go to parole hearing type thing at school next week to present our case as to why he should advance to the next grade.

I don't know what's going on, but it's confusing and a little stressful.

Can anyone fill me in?

4. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Pretty much same boat here, mgzd...our daughter has a 'B" average for the year but made a "2" on her reading EOG.
    The whole thing is stupid. Last year, they didn't even use the EOG scores; they went by what the student did during the year and that's the way it should be. Seems to me the rules change depending on whether or not the teacher/principal thinks the child should pass or not. Two years ago, our son had a "C" average in math for the year and scored a "2" on the EOG. We went to the waiver board with anything we could think of on our side, including written plans from a tutor we had in place, but it didn't matter. His teacher had already decided to fail him, so she took all of his worst grades to show that he hadn't "mastered" the work.

The scale for this year's scoring is different; it is now 1-5 instead of 1-4. The point difference between the levels is ridiculous. Each level should the have the same point spread between them. Instead, some have a 1 point spread and others have 11. This is unreal!

5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

I had the teacher tell me she was going to say he had not mastered achievement, plain and simple. I have a student who has always been A/B honor roll, until this year. Second quarter he failed, I was not notified until the day before report cards came out, and no work was sent home in the tuesday folder, since then it has been a battle to get him any kind of assistance. Now I am being told he has been getting tutoring, however, he is not aware of it, and has never met said tutor. I am pretty much over it! If he is retained, that is fine, but I a furious over the runaround I have gotten from this teacher and the administration over this. Lets not forget, I was also informed the Power School grades are not correct, so this whole time I was thinking he was doing just fine, he was not.

6. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

We are in the same situation. She failed the math EOG and has been getting descendant grade all year. Now her teacher has to go Tuesday at 4:45 (we were told it was being held in Cleveland High school and someone else said Corinth, so we have to find out exactly where) in front of this board we were told we don’t have to be there but we are planning on going. I teacher friend told us to fight hard for it. Anyone know if this board makes their decision right there or you have to painfully wait for a letter days later? Our child has been crying all day and night yesterday about this. It is not a good scene over here.

7. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

I have been told the decision is made right there. I was told it was at Cleveland High, this is for West View 4th grade, if that helps you any.

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

They pass them all the time. It's not a big deal though they make it out to be. My kids have to go to waiver every year. It will be four going this year. They have the meetings. Really, if your child has A's/ B's throughout the year, does not miss much school, and puts forth an effort, they will not retain them. You are allowed to sit in on waiver but we never have. We tell teachers any of our concerns if we have them. We also tell them if we feel our child should not be waived for one reason or another. I have 12 kids. Most have to get waived. Put it this way, I have NOT heard of someone not being waived. NOT saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't heard of it and I have plenty of friends who's kids have struggled as well. I hate these tests. Teacher told me she has stacks of waiver folders to go through. Umm, what does that tell you about these tests? One of my sons is distraught. He studied, worked as hard as he could and still did not pass. He feels at this point he shouldn't even bother trying. My husband has a guy at work who's son used to have a passion for learning and a very bright kid. Now, child says what is the point if I can't even pass a test. This is not the direction this state should be going in. My daughter said she had a lot in her class that did not pass. Information I give is only based on my experience, with my kids. Your experience may vary. Good luck to all going through the waiver process.

9. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

I only pray you are right. We are very stressed over here and have to wait almost a week for this meeting.

10. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

I have been told by a teacher that Johnston County is one of only a few counties in NC that actually goes through the waiver process, and still parents complain. I am not referring to Kdog, just what I have heard personally this week. I totally get your question and apprehension and I wish you the best outcome possible. I do know that at one school, teachers were there until 10:30 on Tuesday night, and after 7:00 on Wednesday-Thursday nights, and some on Friday evening, working on waiver folders. Most teachers I know took hours of work home to do over the weekend to prepare work at parent's request whose kids have low D's or some even F's. Why? How is it that these parents think their kids will pass the next grade if they are not able to do the current year's work? I have no problem with a waiver for a hard working kid with an A, B or C (or even high D) who doesn't test well. There is clearly something wrong with the testing process and scoring if these kids cannot pass it. Too many kids got passed on last year when they were not held to the test standard and they were not ready. Now, it has caught them. Again, pass those who clearly made growth. This week, those same teachers will sit in waiver meetings after school for countless hours with irate parents who think it is their fault. Other teachers will serve on committees for countless hours sifting through paperwork that shows no growth because the parent requested a waiver (D's) or complained enough (F's) as a last ditch effort. Personally, I believe that the principal should waive all who show growth and have performed well in the class. The rest of this nonsense is a waste of time and resources. It is also just one more reason why Wake County has no problem poaching teachers from Johnston County, IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014