Across from Wal Mart

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I saw they have timber equipment and it looks like they are clearing a road on the other side of the Wal mart entrance. I wonder what is going on.

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Inevitable 'Six Flags' comments coming in 3, 2, 1 ...

:)

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Another Sheetz? ;-)

4. Rockyv58

I am just wondering if its Lanny from Son Lan harvesting more timber. From what my neighbor behind me had told me Lanny has been harvesting timber from all his properties for some quick $. Allegedly of course.

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

There's definitely a road on the plans for that intersection. You can tell based on the property lines in that area. Whatever happened to the plan to build a huge shopping center there?

6. Rockyv58

Look at the post that Tassy had from back in 2009. I know we had discussed what was going to go there way in the past. Just wish I could see those discussion boards from way back when

http://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...734998-40-42-new-walmart-shopping-center.html

Since it is technically outside of Clayton's borders, would the county commissioners or county planning board know what is going to go up there?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  7. jesse82nc

I remember that post as I posted it 5 years ago. I also remember an article I read about a North Hills style shopping center to be built in that area, but they backed out due to the economy years ago. There is still quite a bit of available property there, so who knows what might be in the works for years from now.

EDIT - found it - http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/10/10/134677/will-new-4042-plans-happen.html and http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/10/06/128303/johnston-project-wins-support.html and more here http://my.thalhimer.com/filecabinet/Property/054569/SonLan Parkway Flyer.pdf and discussion here - http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?p=466798

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  8. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

If I understand it correctly, the land directly across from Walmart isn't owned by Son-Lan. They own the land behind SECU and in that larger area.

I don't think they need permission to clear the land but if they start installing any conduit systems then they would need permission. Those commissioner meeting minutes are available online and so are county approved subdivisions.

I also understand that there is some difficult terrain further back. With some lower wet areas.

9. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

not in clayton etj. definitely johnston county planning department & board and county commissioners.

10. csmokey143

csmokey143 Member

If it's on the same side of road as Walmarts, a road cutting over to Cleveland School Road would be awesome!

11. Rockyv58

I think when they were building wal mart someone posted they were going to do that. I'm still waiting for that. It would help alleviate some of the traffic heading up 42 to Corwallis and over to 42 @ Cleveland School Road during the rush hour heading home.

12. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The land across 42 from Wal-Mart is owned by Son-Lan, though a small portion is owned by another person. The intersection (where the stop light is) is being developed across from Wal-Mart and a new road is in the process of being cut in there. There are plans to start developing all back in there though no details and no time line at the present time.

13. Rockyv58

14. elims

elims Well-Known Member

15. jesse82nc

No question that it is a road now, drove by today and it looks to be 3-5 lanes across at least. Huge road.

16. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

I don't recall all the details but there has been some recent(last 3 years) back and forth about the land across from Walmart, last we heard there will be more apts. and some retail. It seems that each year that passes the plan calls for more high density housing and less goods and services.

17. silverdevil

silverdevil Active Member

I heard at work that it would be an expansion of the Wal-Mart shopping center. Possible Target going over there. Who knows.

18. jesse82nc

19. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Looks like the developer will be responsible for quite a few traffic improvements, but nothing is said about the bridge at Swift Creek. It is old, two lanes and will be a big bottle neck once this is complete. Existing traffic counts are 26,000 vehicles per day on Hwy 42.:banghead:

20. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

This is what we need.

[​IMG]